Rem 700 sps Varmint

car

What is your thoughts on this gun for prairie dogs and antelope in a 243? Is $547 a good price on a new one? I would like to use this for 500 to 800 yard range.
Thanks

You shouldn't have any problems smacking p-dogs at 500 to 800 yards. I have heard of guys shooting over 1000yrds with this caliber. .243 is a good all around caliber.

Tank

well as far as the gun for P-dogs i would say go for it although i would not go past 500 on a speed goat. As far as price here is what i do when i have a question about price. Look up the same gun on gunbroker.com and see what everybody else is selling it for. If it is close then buy it if it is well higher than what is on gunbroker then keep shopping around.

well as far as the gun for P-dogs i would say go for it although i would not go past 500 on a speed goat. As far as price here is what i do when i have a question about price. Look up the same gun on gunbroker.com and see what everybody else is selling it for. If it is close then buy it if it is well higher than what is on gunbroker then keep shopping around.

That interesting, never even thought of that.

Tank

This is the exact rifle my wife is shooting (it was her wedding present from me LOL). absolutely a great rifle. I do agree with sniperjwt that speedgoats past 500 would not be the best idea (though i am sure some will say no problem) but varmints - I say go for it. great performer

I have two of these, one in a 243 the other in a 308. I couldn't stand the cheap plastic stock so I replaced them.

The 243 shoots great, don't know about the 308 it's brand new and just bedding it in it's new stock today.

JC

Here's a review and test that was conducted on the Remy 700 sps varmint. Good detailed run down on the rifle...mostly good and a not so good review on the stock as was previously mentioned.

remington 700 SPS Varmint

I bought that rifle in .204, and it shoot great. I ditched the stock and got one of the A5 laminate stocks from Joel Russo and had it pillar bed, jewell trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.