Rem 700 sps v or Sav 112BVSS

car

Ok guys I know your getting tired of my asking question here. I have it down to a Rem 700 sps varmint in 243 or a Sav 112BVSS in 25-06.
Out of the two which would you go for?

I will be mostly be hunting PD and antelope with this gun.

I have a Rem 7mm for longer ranges on antelope/deer.

Thanks for all your help. car

A Savage 12 VLP in a .243! :D Only a few dollars more than the BVSS. The .243 will offer better bullets with a better BC for wind control and long range accuracy. Any reason you are hung up on the 112BVSS in 25-06? The Remmy you will need to get a better stock for. I am reading a lot of guys are really complaining about how flimsy it is.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 25-06 is a great caliber. I have hunted with one on several occasions. Wouldn't be afraid to buy one. Too bad they don't offer any High BC bullets without having to purchase a wildcat bullet.

Tank

P.S. Go with the Savage. No stock needed, no trigger work required. A little barrel break in and go shoot something!:cool:

A Savage 12 VLP in a .243! :D Only a few dollars more than the BVSS. The .243 will offer better bullets with a better BC for wind control and long range accuracy. Any reason you are hung up on the 112BVSS in 25-06? The Remmy you will need to get a better stock for. I am reading a lot of guys are really complaining about how flimsy it is.

Don't get me wrong. I think the 25-06 is a great caliber. I have hunted with one on several occasions. Wouldn't be afraid to buy one. Too bad they don't offer any High BC bullets without having to purchase a wildcat bullet.

Tank

P.S. Go with the Savage. No stock needed, no trigger work required. A little barrel break in and go shoot something!:cool:

I too love the quarter bores, but the 243 is a great caliber and will recoil less if that is an issue.
I like the 25-06 for most any mid-sized game in side of 500 yds as it is flat shooting and versatile enough to use on varmints. A muzzle brake would lessen felt recoil and allow better shot sighting at distance. Just depends upon what you want/need. No arguments from me of the 25-06 though :)

Why not a savage bvss in 243 i have one and it shoots great

I initially suggested that, but when I looked on Savage website, they don't show the BVSS in .243 anymore and so suggested the 12 VLP. I know they use to make it. If car can find one, by all means go ahead and get it. I think either two of these rifles are going to be a solid winner in anybody's gun cabinet.

Tank

On Savages web site it list a 12 vlp-dbm only.

I do know about the stock on the rem. Read it many times on just about all hunting web site.

I would like to keep my cost to $500 to $600 not counting stock replacement.

On Savages web site it list a 12 vlp-dbm only.

I do know about the stock on the rem. Read it many times on just about all hunting web site.

I would like to keep my cost to $500 to $600 not counting stock replacement.

hmmmmmm.... (tapping my fingers as I think)!

Well it kinda sucks, because they use to offer the 12FV in a .243. That would have been the best that you could have bough for the money. I'm sure if you called and ordered a 12FV in the .243. It probably won't cost any extra if they have a barrel to put on an action. You should call and ask questions and tell them what you are looking for. Before I bought the 12VLP I was seriously considering the 12FV in .243. Just remember the prices listed aren't what you will actually pay.

Don't sweat the Remington, and look for a Howa varminter. These rifles will work just as well. Just may need a little tweaking.

Tank

Remington stock is crappy. Throw it away for sell or a few bucks. Then get a nice new replacement one.

My first rifle was a rem 700 sps varmint LH .308. I took it because Remington has for aftermarket support for LH shooters.

Your a righty so it doesn't matter. My new gun is a Savage 116 FLHSS 300 win mag. I would go with the same because you can upgrade then yourself, like add a new barrel, or even swap calibers. I find that neat. Don't sweat it too much. You'll be happy with either. Savages generally shoot a little better out the box but a trued up remington will hold it's own again a lot of custom actions. Not saying a tried savage won't but the Remington has survived the test of time, and it plain works.

-Oliver

Right now I'm leaning towards the Rem sps varmint 243. I'm having a price worked up for me this week. I'll keep you posted. Thank for your help. car

Of your two choices, I would definately go with the Savage 112 BVSS in .25-06. Experience is the guiding factor for me. I have a BVSS in .300 WinMag and can't say enough good about the rifle. With its laminate stock, just pillar bedded, it provides a substantially solid platform. It shoots sub-MOA out to as far as I have shot it (650yds).
The only fault I have with the SPS is the flimsy-arse, Tupperware stock. For the price of one of the better after-market stocks (HS Precision, Manners, etc.), you can probably buy the materials and tools AND a after-market barrel in .243.
So instead of having "just" a .243 Remington SPS in a VS stock, now you have a switch barrel Savage, capable of shooting 55gn 6mm bullets at 4000+ fps for PD or a .25-06 capable of sending 115gn Berger VLD's at 3100fps for proghorns out to 500yds.
Later down the line, you could add barrels in .22-250, 6BR, .260, 6.5-06, .270, .280, well you get my drift. With the versatility and options that the Savage offers, one would be foolish not to own one. :) JohnnyK.

in 2010 it is **** hard not to recommend Savage given it's out of the box accuracy, it's ease for upgrades and more and more after market accessories flooding the market due to its increasing popularity. To each their own, but do look a little harder at Savage. I have not regretted one iota my decision to start building on Savage and unless something seriously changes in the near future, will make Savage my goto answer for any future rifle builds too :D

in 2010 it is **** hard not to recommend Savage given it's out of the box accuracy, it's ease for upgrades and more and more after market accessories flooding the market due to its increasing popularity. To each their own, but do look a little harder at Savage. I have not regretted one iota my decision to start building on Savage and unless something seriously changes in the near future, will make Savage my goto answer for any future rifle builds too :D

+1, I want to get the tools so that I can do the barrel swap.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts