Rem 700 SPS question

warboar21

Quick question for those who shoot or have shot the SPS in 7mmSTW. Is the muzzle break removable or is it part of the barrel? I am not a real fan of muzzle breaks and I am really not a big fan of the radial type break. If the break is removable then I would like to either replace it with a thread protector or a different style break. I don't have the rifle to look at as it will be an online purchase so I am looking to those who are more knowledgeable.

I am currently shooting a 280AI with a 26" 1:8" twist barrel. I was contemplating on moving up to a 7mm Rem mag but do not see that much of a gain over the 280AI. Currently I am getting 2930fps with the 168gr LRAB over a max charge of 7828SSC. I know that I would gain a little more with the Rem mag but I am looking more at the STW for better gains.
I really don't have the money to build a custom and am really leery of buying a used rifle in a caliber that can go through a barrel relatively quicker than other calibers. Thus this leaves the SPS as the only factory chambered rifle I have seen on the market. i'm not a big fan of the cheap SPS stock but that's something I could change down the road.

Thanks in advance.

To my knowledge remmy brakes aren't that easily removable. I've seen a couple of boogered up ones at my lgs's over the years. My guess is red loc-tite is used. If you can handle the recoil of a 7rem or 300win the 7stw won't bother you any more. I say get the regular sps in 7stw; my brother just picked up one at a lgs for around 6 bills.

As to the sps stock; yes they look more like car trim panels than a stock, but they are tough enough to take my lightweight 375h@h (8# scoped) for hundreds of shots without a whimper.

Thanks lefty for the reply.

I developed a dislike for muzzle breaks like the boss system. If shooting from the prone out in loose sandy soil they tend to spit more sand in your face than a break that only has the ports on the side. They also seem a little louder sine the sound reflects off the ground vs just going out to the sides. Maybe I am crazy but it just seems that way to me.

I have a few rifles that thump so I'm not exactly recoil shy. I'm sure the stw has a pretty sharp recoil But adding an extra P.A.S.T shoulder pad wold dampen it if needed.

Quick question for those who shoot or have shot the SPS in 7mmSTW. Is the muzzle break removable or is it part of the barrel? I am not a real fan of muzzle breaks and I am really not a big fan of the radial type break. If the break is removable then I would like to either replace it with a thread protector or a different style break. I don't have the rifle to look at as it will be an online purchase so I am looking to those who are more knowledgeable.

I am currently shooting a 280AI with a 26" 1:8" twist barrel. I was contemplating on moving up to a 7mm Rem mag but do not see that much of a gain over the 280AI. Currently I am getting 2930fps with the 168gr LRAB over a max charge of 7828SSC. I know that I would gain a little more with the Rem mag but I am looking more at the STW for better gains.
I really don't have the money to build a custom and am really leery of buying a used rifle in a caliber that can go through a barrel relatively quicker than other calibers. Thus this leaves the SPS as the only factory chambered rifle I have seen on the market. i'm not a big fan of the cheap SPS stock but that's something I could change down the road.

Thanks in advance.

I bought the 700 SPS w/break about a month ago. The break is not removable. I put a H-S Precision Precision Series w/vertical grip stock on it and it's a tack driver. So, it's a semi custom rifle now. There is a version without the break and it's cheaper than the one with the break. Check Buds Gun Shop.......it's where I got mine.

Doug

Thanks Doug. Looks like they only have the model with the break like everyone else. Would love to have found one at the $535 price.

To my knowledge remmy brakes aren't that easily removable. I've seen a couple of boogered up ones at my lgs's over the years. My guess is red loc-tite is used. If you can handle the recoil of a 7rem or 300win the 7stw won't bother you any more. I say get the regular sps in 7stw; my brother just picked up one at a lgs for around 6 bills.

As to the sps stock; yes they look more like car trim panels than a stock, but they are tough enough to take my lightweight 375h@h (8# scoped) for hundreds of shots without a whimper.
If they are the same as the one's that came with the original STW's that were coming from the custom shop the issue is a combination of red Locktite and a reverse thread.

Northwest Precision MB's has the tap to thread breaks to fit that oddball thread. I know, because I paid for it!

Thanks lefty for the reply.

I developed a dislike for muzzle breaks like the boss system. If shooting from the prone out in loose sandy soil they tend to spit more sand in your face than a break that only has the ports on the side. They also seem a little louder sine the sound reflects off the ground vs just going out to the sides. Maybe I am crazy but it just seems that way to me.

I have a few rifles that thump so I'm not exactly recoil shy. I'm sure the stw has a pretty sharp recoil But adding an extra P.A.S.T shoulder pad wold dampen it if needed.
It's not so much about being able to stand up to the recoil as it is being able to see your hits and misses.

Being able to follow the bullet all the way to impact is a huge advantage. You cannot do that without a brake or a suppressor.

It's not so much about being able to stand up to the recoil as it is being able to see your hits and misses.

Being able to follow the bullet all the way to impact is a huge advantage. You cannot do that without a brake or a suppressor.

I understand the benefits of the brake and enjoyed being able to see the bullet impact the game or target. What I didn't like was the face and eye full of sand when I was shooting a friends rifle.
Since I live in the desert southwest and enjoy shooting in various positions and terrain I am wanting to avoid a repeat of what happened. I ended up going to the Eye doctor because the sand had scratched the lens of my eye and caused some serious irritation and became infected. Pretty sick feeling to wake up to a swollen shut eye and then when I did open it up everything was a bit cloudy. Scared me enough that I always wear glasses now when shooting and refrain from shooting my buddy's 300WM with the BOSS from anything other than a bench.

I understand the benefits of the brake and enjoyed being able to see the bullet impact the game or target. What I didn't like was the face and eye full of sand when I was shooting a friends rifle.
Since I live in the desert southwest and enjoy shooting in various positions and terrain I am wanting to avoid a repeat of what happened. I ended up going to the Eye doctor because the sand had scratched the lens of my eye and caused some serious irritation and became infected. Pretty sick feeling to wake up to a swollen shut eye and then when I did open it up everything was a bit cloudy. Scared me enough that I always wear glasses now when shooting and refrain from shooting my buddy's 300WM with the BOSS from anything other than a bench.
I am right with you on that. There are two solutions.

Take a look at the North West Precision Muzzle Brake and the Snowy Mountain Rifles Slotted Muizzle brake.

I have both on muiltiple rigs and since I stalk hunt wheat fields a lot and shoot prone I had the same problem you do with the radial discharge brakes. These side discharge brakes have far less dust signature than even an unbraked rifle.

You can also lay a shooting mat out beneath and in front of your muzzle to eliminate the problem entirely. That's what we did in my first trip to the desert and it works exceedingly well. It doesn't take anything special either, just a piece of canvas or a burlap bag will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.