Rem 700 RUM action safe for Lapua/Norma

Shane Lindsey

Good morning,

I have a Rem 700 300 Ultra. I had the Wyatt's 3.85" cut out and would like to a gunsmiths advice.
Is it safe to use as a 300 Norma, 300 Norma improved, 338 Lapua?
Is it as easy as a bolt swap, head spacing?
What would need to be done to the receiver rails?
I have seen Remington factory 338 Lapua's and heard they were the same actions just with a different bolt. I have also heard they are not safe for this as there is not enough meat around the front of the receiver, which doesn't make sense to me, as the only contact is the bolt face.
Am I off base?

If not, as a RUM it is fine, but you know how it is, fun to tinker.

Thanks,
Shane

My 338 Norma is but on a factory Rem700 which started as a 300 RUM.

Boltface opened up, M16 extractor fitted, action rails opened to allow the larger cartridge through.

It works very well, 270gn ELD-X @ 2770fps from a 24in barrel on a 8lb 9oz rifle.

I recently put a video up of the rifle repeatedly cracking a rock at 500+.

If you load the cartridges within design limits, the actions are more than capable of handling it. Abuse them and trouble will follow.

Think it was Gary Sloan on here.They say founder of 338 Norma,had several built on the action.Many say no,I was personally advised not to by my gunsmith.Mine on a Defiance rebel if I recall

My 338 Norma is but on a factory Rem700 which started as a 300 RUM.

Boltface opened up, M16 extractor fitted, action rails opened to allow the larger cartridge through.

It works very well, 270gn ELD-X @ 2770fps from a 24in barrel on a 8lb 9oz rifle.

I recently put a video up of the rifle repeatedly cracking a rock at 500+.

If you load the cartridges within design limits, the actions are more than capable of handling it. Abuse them and trouble will follow.

I saw that, actually what inspired my question. Sounds like a lot to do to make it work. Guess I'll smoke this barrel and make it an Edge...

Th Lapua, Norma and Nosler run at the same max pressure as the 300 RUM, 65,000 PSI. The COAL on a RUM is 3.58, Lapua 3.6, 30 Nosler 3.34 There is zero reason a Remington action would be safe for 300 Rum and unsafe with 30 Nosler. The parent case of the 30 Nosler is the 300 RUM for Pete's sake. The comment to keep it safe for others is plain silliness.

do as you wish , 60 - 65k 2 ft from your face isnt silly , IMO cuttin on the metal in front of it ???
a bit lower pressure but larger face taking that pressure with now less lugs

Last edited:
This was my concern. Bigger case, wasn't sure if they lugs were beefier on that type of action by design.

do as you wish , 65k 2 ft from your face isnt silly , IMO cuttin on the metal in from of it ???
same pressure but larger face taking that pressure with now less lugs

The lugs don't change size when you open the bolt face... 🤦‍♂️

There's absolutely nothing unsafe about a Norma/Lapua in a Rem 700, if so, I'm pretty sure Remington wouldn't have built 338 Lapua's on their 700.

The only people that say they are unsafe are the ones with a vested interest in custom actions "made" for Lapua/Norma's.

Run them at SAAMI pressures and it'll last many many lifetimes.

The lugs don't change size when you open the bolt face... 🤦‍♂️

There's absolutely nothing unsafe about a Norma/Lapua in a Rem 700, if so, I'm pretty sure Remington wouldn't have built 338 Lapua's on their 700.

The only people that say they are unsafe are the ones with a vested interest in custom actions "made" for Lapua/Norma's.

Run them at SAAMI pressures and it'll last many many lifetimes.
i assumed larger bolt , my mistake

but to ask a question wouldnt that just take metal away and put the inside corner of the bolt face closer to a potential shear point

do as you wish , 60 - 65k 2 ft from your face isnt silly , IMO cuttin on the metal in front of it ???
a bit lower pressure but larger face taking that pressure with now less lugs
If I were you I would quit posting on this thread, all you are doing is demonstrating how little you know. There is zero change to the Lugs when a bolt face is opened up. There is a limit to how much you can open a bolt face but RUM rim is .534, Lapua is .588, and .054 is within those limits. Remington made a lot of 338 Lapua on the Rem 700 action.

So a bolt lugs and the action lugs are exactly the same size on the RUM vs Lapua? Only difference is the feed lips and bolt face?

No, face on the Lapua is larger than the RUM.
Rum cartridges are based off of 404 Jeffries, @ .535 rim diameter.
Lapua is patterned off of 416 Rigby, @ .588 rim diameter.
I built a 338 Edge off of a 300 RUM Savage 7RM, ballistically identical to a non-improved 338 Lapua. Built a 7 Long Range Magnum off of a 300 RUM. The 7LRM is based off the 375 Ruger case (PRC cases), which is also a ~.535 rim diameter.

So a bolt lugs and the action lugs are exactly the same size on the RUM vs Lapua? Only difference is the feed lips and bolt face?
Apologies -- rereading your question makes my answer above moot. I talked with Shilen when I was planning on building a 338 LM using my Savage donor action. They would not cut a barrel for that cartridge, stating I needed an action designed for the cartridge. Granted, Rem actions are stronger IMO, but I would not build a gun that required so much material be removed from the bolt face rim. Though, I'm sure other's have done it.

Last edited:
If I were you I would quit posting on this thread, all you are doing is demonstrating how little you know. There is zero change to the Lugs when a bolt face is opened up. There is a limit to how much you can open a bolt face but RUM rim is .534, Lapua is .588, and .054 is within those limits. Remington made a lot of 338 Lapua on the Rem 700 action.

again do as you wish ,
i disagree with you. im not saying i know more than you on this topic, but i do think everyone is pushing it ... and why ? when they make bigger actions

.027 closer is still closer, case angle & larger face, seems to me would add more rearward pressure , not just 65 overall pressure, add an oily chamber to that on a hot day , even though it could still take an extra 10-15 k before breaking , just saying every cut lowers that very real maximum

serious question , what % of that 65 is pushing back and how hard , for each of teh above .. how do you measure that ??