Rem 700 R5 Milspec 308

omc.cobra

Last summer I purchased a .300 Win Mag Remington Sendero, and an 4 by 14 by 56 mm Leupold scope. Very very accurate - did some 600 and 1,000 yard shooting. Federal Gold Match 190 gr BTHP ammo. Although I will be reloading my own from now on. It is amazing the energy the .300 still carries at 1,000 yards. Also devastating on a coyote at 107 yards!! However, the .300 can beat you up after a while, so I ordered an R5 .308. Very nice. For now I just have a Simmons 6 by 20 by 50 mm scope w mil dot reticle on the R5 as I will be paying off credit cards for a while for these rifles and a few more. I will break it in with that scope, but plan to get a Sightron, Leupold, or Nightforce eventually. Probably in the 6 by 24 by 50 mm range. I am looking forward to taking the R5 out this spring - will be reloading for that rifle as well. I enjoy this website and these forums - lots of good information!

Wow, for a minute there I thought I was reading one of my old posts. I started with a 300 WM shooting 180 AB's. Got it out to 1025 yds and was having a blast with it. I started to get some throat erosion and figured I better let it rest a while so I got the 5R Milspec 308. What a gun that is. I ended up putting the SIII 6x24x50 LRMD on it and it's a great setup. Had it to 1060 so far and wasn't too hard to get there. Good luck with yours.

You will not be dissapointed with the 5R 308. It is the most accurate rifle I have EVER shot. Even over my customs. There is just a magic recipe for accuracy with that rifle. To this day, it is my favorate factory rifle. When I burned the barrel out, I had it re-barreled. It is very accurate. But the original barrel was slightly more accurate. I have shot all of my personal best groups with the 5R 308 at both 100 and 1000 yards. The bore life and recoil sure beats those magnums!:D

Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.