Rem 700 R-5 MilSpec 308

barreltwister

These are all the buzz on the sniper/tactical forums.

Anyone here have one?

Seriously considering another heavy barrel 308,..had a 700PSS a few years ago and miss it.

I bought my first Mil Sec about 3 or 4 years ago. I was so impressed with the performance that I picked up another since. Just wore out the barrel on the first. Groups enlarged to 1 moa after 2500 rounds. Probably would have lasted longer but have overheated the barrel on numerous occasions.

With Federal 168 factory match, consistent .5moa. With handloads they will bughole at 100 yards and hold 1/2-3/4 inch at 300 yards. While I have gotten good accuracy from stock Rem 700's I have found that my Milspecs will hold impact and accuracy over 150 rounds without cleaning..important in some of the competitions I participate in. Also, once broken in they clean up in less that a third the time. I am sold on the r-5 barrel.

Love mine, Shoot F-Class with it. Loves 175gr. SMK's
DroidPics033.jpg

Guns1109.jpg

Vssf
Are you serious with that quote at the bottom of your post. If bho gets his way he will take that nice gun from you.
"to disarm the people... Was the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
-George Mason

Thought this was a thread about the Remington 5R, but it seems to have turned into a political rant. OK, then: how about some confirmation of BHO ever repeating that Karl Marx quote; and if he did, in what context?

Well, I bought one last week and shot it today. Went out to the garage this AM with a coffee to do some reloading and discovered that unbeknownst to me my oldest son had loaded the remainder of our 168 Match Kings for his Savage and a trip out to the farm,...so, all I had in 30 cal were hunting bullets. So I loaded 180 Accubonds with Varget. After a barrel break in routine of cleaning after every shot for 10 rounds of factory ammo, I cleaned it again, let it cool, fired a fouling shot and then put 3 of the Accubonds with 41 grs of Varget into a .22" group at 100 yards and 3 into 1-1/8" at 200.....I think it will shoot.

This was with a Jewell trigger and a Leupold Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14 scope.

I'll pickup more MK's this week, maybe some 168 Bergers as well....

Just got one for myself as well!! All the hubbub surrounding this rifle (and the fact that I shot a doe with one last season) made me finally break down and pick one up. It's one of the "10th Anniversary Edition" rifles, so the murmurings that I had heard earlier about special engraving turned out to be true. I slapped a Konus M30 6.5-25x44 on it, and now it just sits pretty, because I don't have any ammo for it! Will post range results when I actually get to shoot it.

Barreltwister, does yours have "10th Anniversary Edition" engraved on the barrel? Glad to hear that yours shoots that well!!!!

Attachments

• 5R milspec.JPG
    5R milspec.JPG
    163.6 KB · Views: 128
I ran into one of my range books that I keep my load development info in. I know this is an old post but there seems to always be questions about what factory rifles display good out of the box accuracy, and whether the Rem Milsoec is as good as many claim. After owning three 308's and one 300WM, and observing a few others owned by buddies, all have demonstrated good accuracy out if the box, with a trigger tune/change. These targets show 5 shot groups with Federal GM Factory 168 Match, and handloaded 168 SMK's loaded with 43 Gr of IMR4895/Win LR primers, Fed brass. I pulled the last shot at 200 yards.....got excited:rolleyes:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts