Rem 700 Primary Extraction RR serial #

When the world is full of SAKOs, FN Mausers, Tikkas, M70s, Kimbers, and so on, why would anyone buy a 700 ? Reminds me of the guy who divorced his wife to marry his MIL !

I'm probably going to get flamed but, I actually fixed it myself. It wasnt the voodoo that I thought it was.

A little heat to pull the handle off, a set of feeler gauges, a heat sink, a modified vise grip, and a tig welder is all that was needed.

I moved the handle forward by .015" to a gap of .010" between the front of the handle and the cut in the receiver. I advanced it slightly to get a little more cam action between the two surfaces and tacked it in place to test it all out.

I put a piece of tape around the case head to simulate a case that needed some extra primary extraction. The bolt was sticky all the way up to the came action and it ripped the case right out.

No issues to report. All is good in the neighborhood.
If you are good enough with a tig welder, and understand all of the particulars, there is not a problem with fixing it yourself. The 'particulars' being the bolt/locking lugs and the cocking piece ramp be where they are supposed to be when the bolt is closed.

3.6" is longest 700 box made. If you plan to alter for 1/10" more anything can be.

Years ago at Holland and Holland, I saw a Rigby rifle built on a GEW 98 modified to 416 Rigby. Passed British proof.

Just wanted to chime in with another +1 for Dan at ACCU-TIG, fantastic service and appears to have resolved my primary extraction problem. Thanks to the posters that steered me that way.

I just found this and am looking for more education on a few scenarios. Say you fixed the primary extraction and even advanced the timing on a bolt.

Case 1(trick question?): say the above mods were done and factory ammo worked fine 100% of the time but reloads stuck? Seems that would be an overpressure issue to me

Case 2: Above mods were done. First round extracts with difficulty but then next round sticks. Fixes??

I just found this and am looking for more education on a few scenarios. Say you fixed the primary extraction and even advanced the timing on a bolt.

Case 1(trick question?): say the above mods were done and factory ammo worked fine 100% of the time but reloads stuck? Seems that would be an overpressure issue to me

Case 2: Above mods were done. First round extracts with difficulty but then next round sticks. Fixes??
Check your charge weights on your reloads

Before I realized I had a bolt timing issue I was inspecting chamber/brass for signs of burrs or other damage. I even polished the chamber with Fitz hoping to remedy my issue. Any streaks on extracted brass? I found that some factory ammo extracted fine while others required a mallet. Is the bolt hard to lift at the beginning of the stroke? Other pressure signs? Are your reloads hard to chamber? FL sized? Bumping shoulder enough? My only guess on the second question is you're shearing and leaving some brass particles in the chamber.

The brass is ADG and the load is a full 1.5 grains lower than Berger's max. Chrony is reading 50 fps lower than Berger's max. Before the chamber was polished, firing virgin brass gave soft ejector marks at random on an order of 1 every 3 cases. After the chamber was polished, second firing with 0.002" bump with FL die, the same powder charge gave consistent ejector marks on 8 out of 10 cases. Case length is good along with COAL at 10 thou jump. Seems like a pressure issue at the core of it. I'm not sure the chamber isn't at fault some how.

Before polishing, the gloss on the brass was taken away with the first firing. There was some texture but no scratches, dents or the like. After chamber polishing, the second fired cases have a shine, but I can still see some texture...maybe from the first firing? I bore scoped it and didn't see any glaring defects. Maybe the sand paper job in the chamber was a bit too aggressive??

The issue does seem to be getting worse as time goes on. I did a complete clean of the barrel and action with no improvement. To me, it sounds like the load should be reworked. Not sure if the barrel "sped up" and now has more pressure with the same charge?? I'm not sure that is what "speeding up" means.

About 8 years ago, I bought a new rem 700 and it had the same issue with factory ammo with every shot sticking. Sent it back to them and they sent me a whole new barreled action. I wish I knew what they found to warrant such a major fix. My other guns can withstand a very hard bolt lift with bright ejector mark and the cases still extracts. Could the chamber be messed up some how? Too much head space, not enough web support, too rough...or maybe its just the reloads as factory ammo seems to work fine....if some can be located right now.

Appreciate the input

The thought had crossed my mind that if I was getting more ejector marks after the chamber polish, than the chamber may have not enough grip. However, my understanding of "chamber grip" is that its there for the moment of firing an shouldn't be a factor on a stuck case. In theory anyways. For a case to stick, isn't the case not rebounding after expansion or experiencing some chamber defect that is causing a mechanical lock?
When I did a deep clean and bore scoping, I did look for a carbon ring and couldn't see anything. The gun has 150 rounds down range cleaned every 50.

What dies are you using? I also had an issue with sticky cases with my Hornady full length die. It would size everything except for the body at the neck junction causing a sticky case/hard bolt lift with no pressure signs. Couple that with no primary extraction and it makes for a frustrating time. The switch to a redding fixed that.

OP here. I can still happily report that there are still no extraction issues after the repair.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.