Rem 700 KS 280 twist rate?

remingtonman_25_06

Does anyone know what the twist rate of the Rem 700 KS 280 Rem is? I get about 3 different answers when I search online. I bought the rifle used a few years back and just trying to get an idea what it might be. I see anything from a 9.25" to a 9.5" to a 10"

I don't, but I found it faster to just measure the twist rate in a couple of my rifle barrels, after spending time researching them on the internet.

Took maybe 10 minutes per barrel. And that includes at least 2 separate measurements per barrel. Or however many measurements it took to get a repeatable twist rate measurement.

Now I know with certainty. I found it fairly common that manufacturers change their barrel twist rates over the years. Some of my barrels are 20-30 years old. So I finally punted... measured the twist rates and wrote them down.

As I've begun doing this I've found discrepancies in both factory, and custom barrels.

Same here. I quit buying button rifled barrels when my custom 10-twist turned out to be a 10.6 twist. Why even specify a barrel twist rate if that's the acceptable tolerance? Only cut rifled barrels since then.
But I've found disparity with actual measured twist rates also. Instead of carpentry's "measure twice, cut once", with barrel twist rates I've evolved to the point of "measure twice, trust none".

That doesnt look like a very accurate way to do it if you're trying to decipher 3 different twist rates within 3/4" I dont know why Remington had to have so many different twist rates for the 280 over the years anyway...Shouldve just stuck with the 9.25" to begin with and been done with it. I was going to buy some 175g NPs but I dont want to really buy them to find out they wont shoot out of it worth a crap.

I didn't watch that specific video, but if you run two complete revolutions, provided your barrel is long enough, it's more accurate and better than relying on faulty and flawed internet information, company records, and barrel manufacturer errors.

For example, if you have a 10-twist and your barrel is longer than 20", run a cleaning rod until the rod rotates two revolutions, and you should measure 20" of cleaning rod travel down the bore.

Or if you have a 9-twist, 18" of total travel.

If you doubt the accuracy of the method, repeat it several times and see how much different your measurements of travel are.

Or... just keep on guessing...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.