Rem 700 box mag welding?

MagnumManiac

Hi all,
Quick question, any feasible reason NOT to weld stainless 700 box magazines?
I have several that are tight, but if I squeeze them together fit easier.
I doubt they will rattle, unlike my custom CZ 550 Safari Magnum I built my 338-416 Rigby Improved on, it rattles something shocking while walking whether slung or carried.

Cheers.

It just feels like I am missing something.
I was always told to make sure Rem 700 mag boxes had some play after assembly, which they do...not welded.
Every other rifle make I work on have mostly welded or at least spot welded boxes with spacers.
There must be a reason Remington leave them as is, but it escapes me what it could be.

Cheers.

Why not put a little piece of electrical tape on it to keep it fit snug in the inlet of the stock? Or do I not quite understand the situation

No, there's no movement, which I think is what you're referring to.
When assembling the rifle, due to the 'spring' of the folding, the mag box is hard to get in, once in they are very snug.
I just want to TIG them together, only needs half an inch run in the middle. I will clamp them square and tight, as often I see Rem 700 boxes that are twisted to some degree.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.