Rem 700 bolt...cracks?

USMCSSGT

Just bought a Rem 700 30-06 that needed a barrel. Date on barrel is 1966.

Examining the bolt, it looks like it has cracks by the lock lugs?

At 61 years, this is my first 700, so I don't know if these are machine marks or cracks.

Just bought a Rem 700 30-06 that needed a barrel. Date on barrel is 1966.

Examining the bolt, it looks like it has cracks by the lock lugs?

At 61 years, this is my first 700, so I don't know if these are machine marks or cracks.

No, That is just poor execution of putting a bevel on the edges of the locking lugs by Remington.
(Sanding belt edge marks)

Real Gunsmiths are becoming extinct in the factory's and being replaced by operators that are not craftsman.

This will not effect the safety, It just looks bad.

J E CUSTOM

They are grinder marks. I've seen them on Custom actions as well as on several mass produced actions. No safety issue at all.

Attached is a photograph of a 1980 or 1981 model 700 Remington LA magnum bolt with a crack completely around the bolt body. In the period of this bolt the boltheads were pinned and soldered to the bolt body. It is not cracked where the pin goes through but clearly the solder joint is cracked. Is it safe to continue shooting. The lugs are still solid.
Nat Lambeth

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i269/Rustystud/Cracked_Remington_Bolt_zps9evfiic0.jpg

To the OP. I was thinking file marks but a sander could have done it.

On the bolt pictured here. That is just sanded or worn down till the silver solder joint is exposed. It doesn't look cracked. No safety issue at all. It will go away if you Cerakote it. Even if it came loose it would still work just like a Savage floating head assuming it rotates into place. I have never seen a pin holding them. Just the solder. On current production the bolt heads are still soldered as far as I know. Same as the handles. On the OP 's bolt you can see the solder line on it too.

Cracked_Remington_Bolt_zps9evfiic0.jpg

Hired gun:
The bolt in the picture is cracked all the way through. On the edges one can see light through the crack. It will be replaced with a new one piece bolt.
Nat Lambeth

As long as you can it is what's important. I one piece bolt will be a great fix.

Any idea what caused it to come loose? I've never heard of one till now actually compromising the joint.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.