Rem 700 Barrel and Bolt Swap

redneckclimbing

Hey everyone-

I just bought a 300 WSM as a donor. A friend of mine has an older SA 6mm Rem and is wanting somtehing a little more potent for elk hunting. I went with a new bolt and recoil lug so I have both the factory parts.

My question is, if we take his barrel off and switch bolts using one of the recoil lugs. What are the odds that the headspace will be within specs. He isn't needing a quarter minute rifle or anything like that.

The 6mm has a nice stock though and he already has bases and a nice scope on it. If it would work it would save him some money compared to buying a whole new rifle and bases. Any thoughts? What are the odds?

P.S. I have the tools and knowledge to swap the barrels I just didn't want to try it if the odds were pretty bad.

Thanks,

Travis

Hey everyone-

I just bought a 300 WSM as a donor. A friend of mine has an older SA 6mm Rem and is wanting somtehing a little more potent for elk hunting. I went with a new bolt and recoil lug so I have both the factory parts.

My question is, if we take his barrel off and switch bolts using one of the recoil lugs. What are the odds that the headspace will be within specs. He isn't needing a quarter minute rifle or anything like that.

The 6mm has a nice stock though and he already has bases and a nice scope on it. If it would work it would save him some money compared to buying a whole new rifle and bases. Any thoughts? What are the odds?

P.S. I have the tools and knowledge to swap the barrels I just didn't want to try it if the odds were pretty bad.

Thanks,

Travis

About a Thousand to one.

You can however set the barrel shoulder back to get what you need.

J E CUSTOM

The wsm actions are opened up bigger for that big case than a regular 308 chambered action. It may have a feeding/jamming issue. A 308 single shot follower is too small for my Rem700 300rsaum.

Sounds like he'd be better off just getting a new gun and being done with it.

Thanks,

Defenitely saved me some time and headache trying it out!

Opening up feed rails is not out of the question and a new follower.Putting a gun together with no expectations you just need too add up the cost before you start.
Open up the bolt face and new extractor 125.00
Set headspace 25.00
New follower 30.00
Open feed rails 40.00
Now you have spent ( just an estimate) over 200.00 and you still have no clue what you have.

??????

Steve

Would just buy a 7-08 tube in same contour and fire it up or rechamber to 284Win and be done. If you went to the 284 there should be no headspace issues, just barrel stamp indexing if he even cares...

Should be ready to go for under $150. Keep the stock, bolt and such. Leave the action alone and he can re-install the 6mm tube when he gets bored. Would have smith pin the lug though so it stays indexed to the receiver when swapping barrels.

If it wont die with a 284 dont think it would period. Plus there is excellent brass available....

JMO

M

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.