Rem 700 ADL budget rebarrel ideas?

buckbrush

Thought I had my mind made up on a 284 WIN but was wondering if there is a better chambering for a 0.473" bolt face long action gun. It's my wife's elk gun and the barrel is pretty much shot out. Probably don't want to go any heavier than a #6 contour in 26" length and we're going to try and find as light of a stock as possible to replace the wood one. She handled the recoil suprisingly well of my 7mag yesterday when she put 15 rounds through it.

Other cartridges I've considered are 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 280, 280 AI, or even another 270 (obvious bullet selection handicap).

How big of a PITA would it be to get a magnum sized bolt and convert to a 7WSM or 7 SAUM? Feeding issues?

Any thoughts to help her take elk (an deer) to 800 yards or so?

Thanks a lot for any help. As you can see I am lost.

Last edited:
Buckbrush,

Any of the cartridges you mentioned would be good. However the 270 Win or 280 will be a little light unless they are an improved version.

Here's what I did. Remember you put "budget" in the thread title.

Rifle smiths that are on this forum have tons of take off barrels and want to clean house once in awhile. Check with them and see what they have that will fit your needs.

HTH

I ponder this myself, 30-06 ADL rebarrel or sell and by new rifle? TC Icon 6.5 creedmore. lightbulb

With a Rem700 action, I would opt for the rebarrel. Especially with a long action, you could rebarrel to a hot short action like the 6.5x284. By using a short-action cartridge in a long action, you will be able to seat the bullets waaaay out so you get all the case capacity behind that bullet.

New rifle = ~$600

Rebarrel = ~$600

Also, with a rebarrel, you get a custom barrel that will almost certainly outshoot a factory barrel.

Other cartridges I've considered are 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 280, 280 AI, or even another 270 (obvious bullet selection handicap).

Maybe I'm naive, but these cartridges seem a bit light for elk at 800. I would think you would need a 7mm or 30cal magnum.

If you want a custom barrel talk to Brux Barrels before you make any decision. :):):)

You can get one that shoots as good as theirs, but not better and the price is very reasonable and short turn around is fast.

1-608-592-3324

joseph

Another after thought.:rolleyes:

A new take off barrel + the Tubb's Final Finish increases the odds greatly.

I'm actually not on that tight of a budget, although that is a good idea for another junker I've got. I think I am going to send it to McGowen for the work. Just struggling to pick the right chambering. 6.5-284 is sounding like the direction I might head. 140 Bergers maintain 1500# to about 725 yards leaving the muzzle at 3000 fps. I doubt she'll ever shoot that far anyways.

Thanks.

Thought I had my mind made up on a 284 WIN but was wondering if there is a better chambering for a 0.473" bolt face long action gun. It's my wife's elk gun and the barrel is pretty much shot out. Probably don't want to go any heavier than a #6 contour in 26" length and we're going to try and find as light of a stock as possible to replace the wood one. She handled the recoil suprisingly well of my 7mag yesterday when she put 15 rounds through it.

How big of a PITA would it be to get a magnum sized bolt and convert to a 7WSM or 7 SAUM? Feeding issues?

Thanks a lot for any help. As you can see I am lost.

You wouldn't need to get a magnum bolt as a smith can open up your current bolt much cheaper. You could then go with a short mag and be able to seat the bullets out or even go with any of the std mags. (max. 2 1/2" length) While you were at it, you could have the smith install a sako extractor and improve on the remington system which is about the only remington weakness in my opinion. Lots of choices, but for 800 yds, I think your talking magnum. Good luck!.........Rich P.S. I guess I assumed you have a Rem?

You wouldn't need to get a magnum bolt as a smith can open up your current bolt much cheaper. You could then go with a short mag and be able to seat the bullets out or even go with any of the std mags. (max. 2 1/2" length) While you were at it, you could have the smith install a sako extractor and improve on the remington system which is about the only remington weakness in my opinion. Lots of choices, but for 800 yds, I think your talking magnum. Good luck!.........Rich P.S. I guess I assumed you have a Rem?

Just read that you do have a Remingtonlightbulb

Buckbrush

What caliber is your long action with .473" boltface? I have a .270 same action as you, and I have similar question..... with such a boltface, how SMALL of a caliber could I rebarrel, assuming I don't mess with the boltface?

I'm thinking of a 6mm but I'm on a budget also and don't want to mess with the bolt...

Sorry for the mini-hijack...

Thank you

Re: Buckbrush

What caliber is your long action with .473" boltface? I have a .270 same action as you, and I have similar question..... with such a boltface, how SMALL of a caliber could I rebarrel, assuming I don't mess with the boltface?

I'm thinking of a 6mm but I'm on a budget also and don't want to mess with the bolt...

Sorry for the mini-hijack...

Thank you

6mm Remington and .243 Winchester etc. have the same bolt face.....Rich

A 6.5-06 or AI with the 140gr Berger will get you 3100-3200fps and have 1600# of energy at 800 yards. Plenty of thump for elk and pleasant recoil, and can easily be done on your action and bolt.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.