Rem 700 Action, change of Cartridge.

BRIT

Hello.
I have a chance at a Rem700 Action from a Factory 7mm Rem Mag. If I have this re-barrelled to 7mm Ultra Mag would I need to make any alterations to the Action with regards to feeding the larger Case etc ?

Many thanks.

Brit.

Hello.
I have a chance at a Rem700 Action from a Factory 7mm Rem Mag. If I have this re-barrelled to 7mm Ultra Mag would I need to make any alterations to the Action with regards to feeding the larger Case etc ?

Many thanks.

Brit.

Howdy Brit, I did a 300 RUM build off of a 7mm Weatherby 700 action and the feed rails did need some opening up...which the smith for got to do, so I did it myself after it was nitrided...not a lot of fun. But yes, you will probably need to open up the feed rails.

Also, consider getting the extended mag box installed if you want a repeater. Not sure if you will need one and the way to know would be to add the length of the case to the shoulder neck junction to the length of the bullet minus the tail length to get your COAL and maybe add .100 for wiggle room.

And one other thing..... better order 2 barrels for that 7 RUM :rolleyes::D

Make sure to purchase the correct magazine box for the Ultra-Mag series of cartridges. If you try to use the 7Rem Mag. box, it will not feed.

Make sure to purchase the correct magazine box for the Ultra-Mag series of cartridges. If you try to use the 7Rem Mag. box, it will not feed.

what he said !

just had my Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag converted to my 7mm LRH & it WILL NOT feed with the original box mag/follower and my max cartridge oal is only 3.507" kissing the rifling with 180 Berger Hybrids

the 7mm RUM will be a bit longer, you will have to get the Wyatts CFE-9 magazine box for it ..
CFE-9 Magazine Box, WYATT'S OUTDOOR, INC.

I ordered the Accurate Mag bottom metal/mags to eliminate feeding problems ....

REMINGTON DSSF LONG ACTION BOTTOM METAL KIT

Don't know about 7MM LRH or any other long wildcat cartridge conversions but, converting a 7MM Rem Mag. to 7MM RUM will work if, as I said, you obtain the correct mag box. No center feed, extended or other equipment is needed.

you could go 7x300win or 7mmstw without alterations and have roughly the same output on the rifle.
the 7rum is a heck of a cartridge though...

Gents.
Thank you to you all for taking the time to help me out. Some excellent advice should I decide to 'take the plunge'.

I realise there are probably better 7mm Cartridges but i have always had a liking for the 7mm RUM. You know the type of thing. You just sometimes get the 'itch that needs scratching'.

I even got dies and brass for it.

I may opt for a Lothar Barrel. Even though I have had a bad one in the past they are readily available over here and that hard LW50 Barrel Steel may help the Barrel last a little longer.

Many thanks.

Brit.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.