Rem 700 Accuracy Issues

If you take out the barrel support in the stock on these sporter barrels without floating and bedding it can cause issues. You can test by putting something up there for support.

Id check that scope too. The magnitude of the inconsistency and no pattern to it sounds like a bad scope to me.

Mount it on a different rifle or figure some way to verify its good.

Didnt sound mechanical to me.

Did that, all within 40 fps
It would have needed to be a huge variance in velocity to cause that much deviation at only 100 yards- and that would only relate to purely vertical stringing, which isn't your case.

It's simple enough to rule out "stringing" due to heat and stresses in the barrel steel.
If it consistently prints 2 tight, then strings randomly- and does this every time, with the barrel being allowed to cool completely in between groups- it's more likely than anything else to be heat related IMO.

I don't see where you confirmed that you checked for full free-float. Make sure a business card can slide from forend to receiver freely, and if you have a lighter forend also make sure it's not flexing enough to contact the barrel when supported there.

Been there, tried everything..

high dollar.jpg

Finally sent it back and they replaced the barrel; it was missing some rifling. Messed with it for a while longer, gave up and bought a barrel and had the action done.

Check the pressure on the forend with a dollar bill.

I restocked two identical sporter 700's last year with BC stocks. One shot beautifully. The other acted similar to the OP's. I finally figured out that the barrel was touching on the bottom. A dowel rod and sandpaper solved the problem.

I put about 40 hours into assembling a rifle before going to the range. Go through everything making sure everything is free of stresses even if you have to bed everything like mount to top of action, scope rings , clearance around recoil lug (Front , sides and bottom) also around magazine.
Remember one maker does the receiver and another makes the mount. All the screw tightening will do nothing if only 20% is making contact with each other. When beading, tighten screws just enough to squeeze out the epoxy. That's about as hard as you can screw using your thumb and index finger so as not stress and slightly distort. Some very exact custom actions will bind the bolt when the screws are tightened if beading is poor.

This will save you a lot of time and hopefully all you have to do is find a load. Pick a projectile like a Berger as good jacket concentricity is important for accuracy. Start low , increase powder until it shoots and continue up until it opens up and pick a load in between. now you won't have to waste time fiddling with a dropper just use a good powder measure Next the projectile jump, usually the group will be horizontal or vertical depending if jump is increased or decreased.

Think pin point accuracy, humane one shot kills with least amount of carcass damage.
Hope this helps.

I have a Tikka super light,(fluted sporter) in 243 Winchester that puts 5 tight. I had a buddy that could not figure out a rifle doing this exact same thing. I shot it and after checking off the list, which took time, it was the barrel channel, (free float). Like letting your barrel touch touch something when shooting. It changes the harmonics.