Rem 700 7mm re barrel?

Autorotate19

I have a remington 7mm rem mag iv had forever and I was wanting to make it into a long range mule deer rifle "1,000 yards." First off im probably going to re barrel it with a lilja 27" 1-9 twist #3 contour "Rem Sporter." I have an HS Precision stock for it. Im guessing it will weigh around 7lbs without scope??? I think ill probably want to shoot the 180gr vlds through it. Is that enough twist for that bullet? Also what kind of velocity can I expect ? When I have a smith install it I was told by a friend of mine that I should give him a dummy round of what im wanting to shoot and thats what he will ream the chamber to? Im new to the rebarreling deal its my first time. Any suggestions or help will be great. Thanks

Last edited:
The best thing you could do is call Lilja and see what they recommend. I think that contour maybe a little whippy, but you never know. The long range game is stability. The less whip in the barrel the more true the flight. Have fun with your new toy.

Tank

Last edited:
well if i were you i would have him ream it to a 7mm STW with a 1-9 twist which by the way will be enough twist for the 180s, you would be able to get around 3100fps. With the standard 7mm it would get you about 2900fps. I agree with Tank though i would go with at least a #5 countour. If you are worried about weight just buy one of the double sholder slings sold here on LRH and you wont have to worry about the weight:D Probably not a bad idea to take your smith a dummy round. Good luck and keep us posted

Im pulling 3185 with 168 bergers. 73 gr H1000 down a 27" shilin 7 rem mag. 180's are 2950. I broke barrel in with tubb final finish. DId that with all my barrels and that gets me fast velocities and less fouling.

Just FYI the 168 beats the 180 in drop and drift at 1000 yards and 1500.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.