Rem.700 5r 300wm

Longhunter1

My 300wm has a 26" barrel with 1-10 twist. I'm using a Vortex 6-24x50 hslr,sekins precision low rings, talley steel 20 moa rail. Have timney 510 set at 1.5lb. The rifle has a max recoil reducer in the butt and a Witt Machine directional brake. Harris bipod. Low round count- about 230(currently)

I was/am getting crap groups. I gave Tubb's final finish a try and it helped some.
My current and best load so far is federal brass, remington primmer, 208 grain AMAX, 74 gr. H1000 powder. Bullet seated .030 off the lands. I'm only able to get 1 moa groups at 100 yds. I can shoot off bipod, bags, led sled, benched or prone and results remain the same.

This rifle I'm told should be capable of 1/2 moa. I have not yet bedded the action,but it has the hs precision stock with the aluminum bed.

Should I be trying a different (maybe heavier bullet? Different powder? Bed it?

Headspace has been checked

That rifle should definitely be shooting better than 1 MOA. My 5R .308 Win shoots 1/4 MOA. I've never seen a 5R that wouldn't shoot with minimal work.

I would bed that action, make sure all the action screws are torqued to 65 inch-pounds, and make sure the barrel is free-floated.

Also, if it continues, I would have the barrel scoped by a gunsmith.

Also, your particular barrel might not like that powder. I've had several rifles that didn't like H1000 or Retumbo, and regardless of load workup, it just would not shoot. I swapped powders and worked up a load, and the groups instantly shrunk.

Sometimes it could be anything from your brass, primers, bullets, or powder, all the way up to hard-parts like your barrel, action, or stock. You just have to do some load work and testing.

I would get the bore scoped by a gunsmith to see if they can give you better advice as to which direction to go.

Have you tried adjusting your seating depth? Longer, shorter etc? I'd also advise you to get away from the 100yd line. 200 is better & 300/400 is better yet, you'll really get a better understanding of what you load is doing at a longer range.

How about a primer test? Keep your known variables: OAL, Brass, Charge etc & run a test with different primers.

As Mud stated before, most 5R's shoot well however, just like any manufacturer, there are some turds out there too. I would also double check action screw torque, it can definitely effect your accuracy. I run my at 40in/lbs across the board as I've found more consistency at 40 than I have at greater torque. YMMV, of course & you should at least try it.

With a the bedding block in your stock, I can't recommend you bed it right now. It's got to be pretty fubar for a bedding job to make a large difference. I advise saving that for last.

Have you double checked to ensure your barrel is floated properly? You never know....

If your rig is shooting consistently at 1moa, I would tend to believe you're just an adjustment or two away from where you want to be. You may never achieve consistent 1/2moa but it should be able to go sub-moa anyway.

There is nothing wrong with that A-Max, right now, i'd look at other variables before trying a different bullet.

t

I've dialed in a couple of these in the last few weeks and one thing that sticks out to me is the muzzle brake your using, I've seen one shoot 3 inch groups and no better could be done and all the biggest thing was the brake was .010 out of alignment with the bore, there is almost a zero chance a brake that fits the OD of the barrel is going to be in line with a factory Remington barrel. If you pull your stock you should see the stock contact pattern and it should be two lines of good contact down each side of the action, if you have that then bedding will do almost nothing for accuracy.

I use H1000 pretty much exclusively in 300 Wins and primer seems to make a big difference, in particular a CCI 250 works very well with H1000, the last one that was all it took to bring a rifle from just sub MOA to shooting very consistently in the .4's with no other load work up just seating a Berger 215 at .030 of the lands.

The action contact on the stock looks even, and the recoil lug is seated back in its mortice. I have been torquing the action screws to 50in/lbs. The barrel is free floating. I have messed around with seating depths from book spec. to .010 off the lands. I was thinking powder and maybe primers also. Reloader22???

The break was installed, checked and re checked by smith.Rifle had same accuracy w/o a break

Seating depth has been tested from book spec-.010 off lands

Action contact on stock looks good and barrel is free floated(I'm bedding in the action lug now)

Powder and primers maybe. What to try reloader 22?

Low round count- about 230(currently)

Please don't take offense but considering what you have done does far, IMHO, that's not a low rounds count to determine if you have a shooter or not regardless of rifle make and model. Having said that, you have more patience than I do. :)

I'm using a Vortex 6-24x50 hslr,sekins precision low rings, talley steel 20 moa rail.

Is the scope you have on the rifle a known good scope and what have you done to verify it?

Look at WR's post, #10 on this thread >>> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/loss-152499/index2.html#post1073205

Yes, I was thinking of giving the optics a try on another rifle as well. Waiting to try a different powder and shoot after action lug is bedded... will then give it a go if problem continues
Thanks

Morning. I have a 300wm. williams barrel, rem 700 LH, with brake 30", 2.5lb trigger, nickel plated. Brown Precision stock. I got a load 30 yrs ago off a most accurate load sheet.

78.5 grs MRP powder which is 4831sc.
215 Fed. primer
165 or 180grs sierra match bullets. or the new noslers
winchester brass
adjust seating depth to ur chamber
I shot 20 shot in a slow fire session last year. I group was 3/4" 100yrd.
6.5x20x40 Leupold
Look at a burn chart for powder for the 300wm I also have some 180gr bronze tips that shoot very well. Prep brass.

Last edited:
Going to give reloader 22 a try. Has anyone had any luck with imr 7828? I bedded the action lug with no real improvement. I tried another scope(cheap) and saw some difference -not a ton but decided to send the vortex back for a checkup before burning more ammo. I should get the scope back in a week or 2 and will know more then

Going to give reloader 22 a try. Has anyone had any luck with imr 7828? I bedded the action lug with no real improvement. I tried another scope(cheap) and saw some difference -not a ton but decided to send the vortex back for a checkup before burning more ammo. I should get the scope back in a week or 2 and will know more then

I have used 7828 to good effect in the 300wm when lit by a FED 215. I know it shoots extremely well with the 175 smk. A bullet prefered by a friend of mine, I haven't talked him into anything larger as of yet.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.