Rem 700 & .338 Lapua

anachronism

Is it economically feasible to build a Remington 700 in .338 Lapua? I have a 700 BDL in .338 Win mag that needs more power. I hear pros & cons about this, mostly from people who have never been around one. Would I be better off with the 338 UM?

Bob

Anachronism,

A properly set up Rem 700 will certainly handle the strains imposed by the 338 Lapua magnum but you will need to use a special feeding system for the fatter case. The H-S Precision DM system is what I would recommend.

Ecomonically??? That depends on your definition of the word. The H-S Precision will set you back around $200. The bolt face will need to be opened up and a sako style extractor fitted. May need some feed rail mods to fit the DM system.

I will be testing this platform here soon and see how it performs.

I will say that I would only recommend using Chrome Moly receivers for such a conversion because the steel is harder then stainless and will resist bolt lug and bolt lug recess set back better then the stainless receiver.

Just a bit of extra insurance if oyu will.

With the release of the 338 RUM, this conversion is really not worth it though. Sure brass quality is much better for the Lapua but actual ballistic performance is pretty much identical with top hand loads in the 338 RUM.

TO convert your 338 WM to the RUM you would simply need a new RUM mag box and you may need to open the feed rails on the receiver up slightly.

Some I have built using the standard belted mag receivers needed the feed rails opened slightly some did not. This is a very simple process though for a quality smith.

Price wise it would be vastly easier to convert to 338 RUM and ballistic performance would be for all intent and purpose, identical in the field.

IT is also a much better fit in the Rem 700 receiver obviously!!!

Good SHooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Thank you, Kirby. My M700 is CM, so that's not a concern. The 338 UM may be a more sensible way to go.

I have built few 338 Lapua on 700's and they make a good rifle when done properly. I believe the HS mag setup is the only way to go. However, unless you just want to have a Lapua for a particular reason, the 338 rum is by far the more practical of the two. In addition you will get an extra round capacity with the RUM.

[ QUOTE ]
Thank you, Kirby. My M700 is CM, so that's not a concern. The 338 UM may be a more sensible way to go.

[/ QUOTE ] Why not the .338 EDGE? Looks like a much better ctg. from where I stand. Of course it is a handloaders ctg. only. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3sixbits,

You are correct, Shawns 338 Edge would be a great option that would be the full equal to the 338 Lapua with any bullet weight.

The question just asked about the Lapua and RUM so that is what I replied on.

Youare right though, the 338 Edge would be another great option.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Re: 338 Edge

[ QUOTE ]
For all of us uninformed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif; exactly what is the 338 Edge and what brass is used for this cartridge?

VH

[/ QUOTE ] The .300 RUM necked up to except the .338 bullet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I don't have any cartridge drawings for the 338 UM, would it clean up a .338 Win Mag chamber?

What mods would be needed (if any) to use an EDGE cartridge

in a 338 RUM 700? Kirby (along with a lot of others) have got me convinced that I should get one of Sendaro's at Buds Gun Shop and the EDGE looks like the ticket.

Bruinbro

This "Edge" is a great round I have been shooting one (.338/300RUM) several years.Plenty of power and a really flat shooter....

Gotta go against the grain here as I have built probably close to 100 Lapuas on Remmy's. The Lapua will out perform the 338 RUM and has better brass. The Edge is a good cartridge but is a wildcat and the Lapua has factroy ammo available.
It can be fed with a HS, a Weatherby mag box, Wyatt's or a AI chassis system.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.