Rem 700 .30-06 Bolt Stuck Closed

57Loader

My bolt is stuck shut, no round in the chamber.

1. Installed a Timney Trigger last night, all went well.
2. Put the gun back together.
3. Moved the bolt around 5-6 times to check for binding.
4. Moved the safety to 'fire'
5. Pulled the trigger.
6. Can't get the bolt open now......

I managed to get the trigger off with the bolt in so I could see what it was stuck on. It didn't look like any of the problems came from the new trigger.

What happened, and how do I fix it? All I can come up with on Google searches are bolts stuck because steel cases are stuck in the chamber. This was a dry fire on the first pull of the new trigger.

Thanks,

Sounds like your screws for the trigger guard are to long, did you use new scews, or put the screws in the wrong hole? If the screw in the bolt end id to long it will hit the bolt.

I would be willing to bet that your extractor is broken. I have heard that this is a common issue with some of the remmys. I had mine break on my 7-08 and couldnt get the bolt open. I had to use a little persuasion with a hammer. Ryan

doubt the extractor is the problem, as its enclosed in bolt head in scenario you described. what ELSE have you done to rifle, or had done ?

Its gotta be something to do with the cocking piece in the rear of the bolt...something is not letting it get pulled back...that should narrow it down.

It could be the cocking piece could have a clearance issue with the internal parts of the trigger housing? Is there any evidence of rubbing or binding on the front side of the new trigger between the housing rails?

I missed ridgerunners post....... sorry for duplication but it's something in that area.......

I got it all taken care of. Looks like the bolt sticking had nothing to do with the new trigger. I hunted in the rain last year and must have not cleaned the bolt good enough. The cocking pin in the back of the bolt was stuck. I sprayed the bolt down with some cleaning solution and left it for the day. When I got home from work it opened right up. I took the bolt apart and cleaned it all up. Works great now and the trigger is awesome.

Thanks for the replies.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.