Rem 700 30-06/300wm bolt swap

ColoYooper

My elk rifle is a Rem 700 in 30-06 with a stout #4 contour barrel. I have a spare Rem 700 Sendero 300wm action from my target rifle in my safe. The 300wm action has seen over 10000 rounds and is not as tight as the hunting rifle action. Both actions were purchased in the mid 1990s and either bolt seems to fit just fine in either action, with the hunting rifle action not as sloppy, even with the 300wm bolt. Given the opportunity, I wouldn't mind upgrading my elk rifle from 30-06 to 300wm. 300wm cartridges fit fine in the elk rifle's magazine well...Soooo, do I merely have to have the barrel re-chambered and use the 300wm bolt?
Thanks
DaveS

I think the mag follower might be a bit different to accommodate the wider magnum cartridges, too. So you might have to swap that out if you still have the old one from the .300WM. But if not, they're not expensive.

Also, like Shortgrass said, check the feed rails on the action to be sure they don't need modification.

It would probably just be easier to swap the 30-06 barrel to the magnum action and rechamber to 300wm.

Yep, or just get an oversized PTG bolt body and have the raceways bored to match, then stick a new barrel on that old/new .300WM action. It would be like a new one.

i just did this only with 338 rum, i had to replace the follower and open the feed rails a few thou to get her to feed.

built of adl 30-06

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.