Rem 700 25-06 Ammo

Rkling24

Hey guys, I got a new rem700 LR in 25-06 and have put a Leupold vx3 on it. I have put 40 rounds through it, a box of Barnes vortex 100gr and hornady 117 gr And it doesn't seem to like the vortex very much and hornady is very inconsistent at 100yds. I know I haven't tried all brands just trying to see what has worked for other owners of this gun. Thanks in advance for the help.

Mine shoots Federal Fusion 120 Gr. very well. Others have said it shoots well in 25-06 also. Bullet is a Speer Grand Slam. I think it is inexpensive factory ammo that lots of 25-06 rifles shoot well.
Federal also uses the Sierra 117 Gr. bullets in it's premium ammo. They tend to shoot well to. I reload for mine and use the 117 Sierra bullets.

Mine shoots Federal Fusion 120 Gr. very well. Others have said it shoots well in 25-06 also. Bullet is a Speer Grand Slam. I think it is inexpensive factory ammo that lots of 25-06 rifles shoot well.
Federal also uses the Sierra 117 Gr. bullets in it's premium ammo. They tend to shoot well to. I reload for mine and use the 117 Sierra bullets.
Ok thanks

My 36 year old Remington 700 25-06 likes the Sierra 90 BTHP bullets (1/2" @ 100yds). I have tried numerous other bullet weight and styles but the groups always opened up to over 1" @ 100yds.

Try some 90-115gr bullets, Nosler partition in 100gr are dynamite. I've tried everything from 90gmx to 117gr Hornady sst and somewhere there's a factory load that your rifle will like. The last one I worked up loves the 117gr speer hot core I believe federal loads them. It'll give you a good starting point anyhow. I like a 115gr bullet personally I feel it gives the best balance of energy vs drop, if your rifle likes 100gr stay with a partition or tougher bullet. I was on hand when a 100gr cor-lock didn't penetrate very well range was about 100yd and it was just too much velocity for the rather soft bullet.

I have a 25-06 I am abouf to do ammo testing with I will have spare ammo if you want I could send down my unused for you to test. Also make sure that you are checking all your torque specs after initial firing, dont let your barrel get to hot and on factory barrels I like to inspect with a borescope before I get to deep into testing.

I have had 6 or 7 25-06 over the years and all of the shot nosler ammo with 100 grain partitions the best. Also Winchester 85 grain ballistic tips the black and silver tips. Federal ammo shot ok, but first 2 mentioned best.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.