Rem.6 1/2 Sr primers. VS Rem 7 1/2 Sr primers

Poppadoer

I use the 7 1/2 for my .223 reloaded.My brother gave me some Rem. 6 1/2 Sr primers.I read up on them and it seems like they claim to be made thinner than the Rem. 7 1/2.Also not recommended to be used in .223.One caliber the 6 1/2 was made for is the .22 hornet.The articles I read said that the 6 1/2 could be used for small pistol.Keep in mind that I haven't used any of the 6 1/2 for anything.They are still setting on the shelf.Comments are welcome.

I use the 7 1/2 for my .223 reloaded.My brother gave me some Rem. 6 1/2 Sr primers.I read up on them and it seems like they claim to be made thinner than the Rem. 7 1/2.Also not recommended to be used in .223.One caliber the 6 1/2 was made for is the .22 hornet.The articles I read said that the 6 1/2 could be used for small pistol.Keep in mind that I haven't used any of the 6 1/2 for anything.They are still setting on the shelf.Comments are welcome.

They work well in loads that are max 35-40,000 psi. That leaves out most small rifle rounds. Good in 218 Bee, 22 Hornet etc. They are a milder primer and will often improve groups size in these rounds as they are very sensitive to primers with too much gusto. I use Federal Small Pistol almost exclusively in both of those cartridges, really improves the SD and Extreme Spreads. I would not use them in a 223 when a much better primer is easily available. They would work for Trail Boss loads in 223, 204, 17 FB etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.