Rem 300 win mag - 5r rifling

Ski

Does anyone here have any experience with Remington's police in the 300 win mag with the 5r rifling? It was a special run made for Accusport(sp?) and has a black stock on it and sports a 26" heavy barrel.

I understand TC has just come out with the 5r in the warlord, so I'm wondering if there is any merit in this design.

If I do decide to purchase this and it doesn't shoot as well as I would like, how much trouble is it to have it tuned? And roughly how much should I expect to spend?

Thanks in advance for the replies!

Last edited:
While I don't own a 300 win mag with 5R rifling...Mine was a Remington 700 MilSpec .308 with 5R rifling. Some folks will say it's voo doo and not to mess with it. I can tell you my Milspec shot tighter groups and was easier to clean than a Remington PSS in .308 I owned. BTW, both rifles had been broken in the same way. Shooting Federal Goldmatch ammo...the PSS was a solid 3/4 inch group rifle at 100 and the Milspec was 3/8 inch maybe slightly better. And the Milspec seemed to shoot well with a variety of other loads....the PSS seemed a bit more finicky. Not sure I can say this was strictly due to the rifling...the Milspec has a 1:11.25" barrel and the PSS had 1:12" if my memory serves me correctly...so that might help as well.

This type of rifling is offered by many barrel manufacturers...which you probably knew. I have this type of rifling in two custom barrels...one from Bartlein and one from Krieger. I've been extremely happy with this type of rifling....but this is IMHO....and I don't want to profess to be any sort of expert.

As far as pricing....My Milspec was easily $300 to $400 more than a new PSS would have been ( retail prices.) I suspect what you're looking at is probably more $$ than an ordinary Remington 700 in 300 WM.

Good Luck...If this rifle fits your needs...I would not be afraid of the 5R rifling. This style of rifling has been a welcomed addition to my collection of rifles.

Wayne

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I can pick this rifle up for $800. My local shop tells me the guy that traded it in just likes to switch a lot and probably didn't shoot a box of shells through it.

I have the milspec 700 5R in 300wm. It has the HS precision stock which is ok and 26" barrel. It does seem to me that the barrel is a little easier to clean than my other factory barrel rifles. It shoots the berger 210 VLD slightly under 0.5 moa.

Ski, sounds like it could be a pretty good deal if the round count is low. I have the 5R in the 308 Milspec and it's super accurate and cleans real easy.

Ski,

I have never owned a rifle with 5R rifling but I've only heard good things about it and its accuracy. That said, I would ask the gun shop owner for the previous owners name. He should be willing to provide that and then call the guy to see just how many times he did actually shoot it. Unless you have a bore scope there's no way to truely know what condition your barrel is in. You should be able to get a feel for its condition from talking with the previous owner. Hopefully he didn't sit on a couple of priarie dog town in July with it! :) Just kidding about that, no one would shoot PD's with a .300 would they? JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.