Rem 11-87 Super Mag Turkey problem

rsbhunter

Hoping someone here has some info on what happened with a brand new Rem 11-87 super mag .....I had installed a "SURE CYCLE" recoile spring kit before ever firing it....reinstalled the link properly, (pretty impossible to put it in wrong) and went to test some Turkey loads on paper...shot one Federal 3.5", one Rem Nitro mag 2-3/4", and then fired two Win 3.5" supreme turkey 2OZ loads....both loaded single shot....after the second shot, the bolt would only open about 3/4" and stop.....pulled trigger group, and the link arms were out of the spring cup (that retains both sides of the link fingers, and bent into almost the shape of a pair of scissor handles....almost looped in opposite directions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have replaced the SURE CYCLE system with the stock spring set up, ordered 2 new links (1 spare) ...i am at a loss why this happened, everything i had read on the Sure Cycle System was positive...may be this is a one in a million, or do the 11-87 Super Mags have problems????? Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post, and for any help........rsbhunter

Last edited:
Hoping someone here has some info on what happened with a brand new Rem 11-87 super mag .....I had installed a "SURE CYCLE" recoile spring kit before ever firing it....reinstalled the link properly, (pretty impossible to put it in wrong) and went to test some Turkey loads on paper...shot one Federal 3.5", one Rem Nitro mag 2-3/4", and then fired two Win 3.5" supreme turkey 2OZ loads....both loaded single shot....after the second shot, the bolt would only open about 3/4" and stop.....pulled trigger group, and the link arms were out of the spring cup (that retains both sides of the link fingers, and bent into almost the shape of a pair of scissor handles....almost looped in opposite directions!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have replaced the SURE CYCLE system with the stock spring set up, ordered 2 new links (1 spare) ...i am at a loss why this happened, everything i had read on the Sure Cycle System was positive...may be this is a one in a million, or do the 11-87 Super Mags have problems????? Thanks for taking the time to read this long winded post, and for any help........rsbhunter
I had a 11/87 Super Mag and when I first got it the trigger pull was in the vicinity of 14 pounds out of the box. Obviously this was not acceptable. Contacted Remington and they had me ship it in to their warranty center in Minnesota. Came back a couple of weeks later and all was well. I used the Super Mag for just about everything to include trap shooting and never had any problems with it cycling on anything from 2 3/4 trap loads on up to 3 1/2 Turkey /Goose loads. The only other issue was trying to unload it. The first round would pop out of the chamber and onto the ground, the second and third liked to jam up in the action requiring removing the barrel to get them out of the shotgun. Never had an issue with feeding when shooting, only when trying to eject unused rounds at the end of the day.

Back in about 2017 I bought a 11-87 super mag primarily for turkey and goose hunting. It came out of the box with troubles. Before it was ever fired it had trigger problems. Although one does not necessarily think of trigger pull with shotguns like one does with pistols and rifles when the trigger slap starts to exceed 18 pounds and throws off your aim one has a tendency to take notice. Before it was ever fired it went back to Remington under warranty. Six weeks later and just before Turkey season (already missed goose season) it showed up on my doorstep unannounced but requiring a signature like all firearms transactions do. It took me 3 days to track it back down through the FedEx system and finally take it home. (No it was not delivered) The trigger issue was fixed. Did not check the pull but it was about the same as my Remington 1100's. Shooting trap single feeding it, there were no issues. It loaded and ejected the single 2 3/4 inch trap rounds just fine. Then I tried shooting doubles. Much to my dismay it had issues loading the second round. Remington's solution was to only use 3 dram equivalent trap loads. Did that and it didn't seem to matter, got a lot of stovepipes and plain failure to ejects. It actually shot singles quite well and had good luck with it shooting singles. Now lets move on to Turkeys/Geese. Took it out turkey hunting first since goose season was already history. Took it out to my friends farm to pattern it with 3 1/2 inch mags. While not failing to eject the fired loads had issues loading and jamming. Didn't matter if it was Remington, Winchester or Federal magnum loads none of them would feed right. The most frustrating thing was that one could not eject the shells still in the magazine at the end of the day without jamming. Once jammed had to remove the barrel in order to get the jammed shells out. I pretty much simply began using it pretty much as a single shot. One of the guys on my trap league decided that he wanted a 3 1/2 inch. Told him about the issues and he bought it anyway. Conversely I have a 11/87 3 inch that performs perfectly. My newest shotgun is a new Browning A5. It's a 3 inch and functions perfectly and shoots fantastically.

Yeah, it's still in my safe, it functions, I think...haven't used it in about 4 years...age and low Turkey density has stopped me from going....need to sell it, at least it does function after putting it back to stock...rsbhunter

Yeah, it's still in my safe, it functions, I think...haven't used it in about 4 years...age and low Turkey density has stopped me from going....need to sell it, at least it does function after putting it back to stock...rsbhunter