Reloder 33

I could be wrong but I'm thinking 33 is going to be too slow f the 7 WSM. Start a couple grains higher than you would with Retumbo or H1000. I would be curious to hear of the results.

33 Could be good in the 270 WSM.... maybe, definitely in the 6.5 WSM

I may have to try some of this in my 338 EDGE AI. But temp sensitivity is going to be a concern.

CA 48,

Do you have any information on RL-33 being temp sensitive? I have not seen any differences in the rifles I have loaded from 59 to 90 degrees. Know that is not the best test will do more chronographing and shooting some time this winter.

Certain there are many loaders waiting for any results.

Last edited:
AZShooter, how much of a velocity change did you see on average? I've been considering trying some in my 7STW IF I can find some. Any of you guys tried any RL33 in your STW's? Or does anybody have some input on RL33 in a STW?

AZShooter, how much of a velocity change did you see on average over retumbo? I've been considering trying some in my 7STW IF I can find some. Any of you guys tried any RL33 in your STW's? Or does anybody have some input on RL33 in a STW?

I poured over my notes and don't have velocities for all my rifles using RL-33 within temperature range I mentioned, just some of them. Velocity change was minor no more than 25/30 fps. But the temperature range is only 31 degrees.

RL-33 and RL-17 made in Switzerland by Nitrochemie and are formulated differently than the other Reloader powders. They cannot be judged with the blanket statement that all Reloader powders are temperature sensitive. These two powders have a very long pressure curve due to unique burn-rate controlling chemical that penetrates all the way through the kernels. We will get this figured out soon.

I use a CO2 tank for cooling the barrel. Guess I could set up an experiment by cooling the ammo in a small cooler and get the barrel good and cold with the CO2.

Never chronographed velocity differences with retumbo. Only used it briefly in a 7 rem mag and a 6mm-284. 7 mag was used for one hunt then rechambered to 7mm/375.

CA 48,

Do you have any information on RL-33 being temp sensitive? I have not seen any differences in the rifles I have loaded from 59 to 90 degrees. Know that is not the best test will do more chronographing and shooting some time this winter.

Certain there are many loaders waiting for any results.

No, I have no experience with this powder. If I can find some locally I may try to freeze some rounds and see what the velocity change is from the outside temp around here which is around 85-90.

No, I have no experience with this powder. If I can find some locally I may try to freeze some rounds and see what the velocity change is from the outside temp around here which is around 85-90.

That would be interesting. If you kept them in a sealed plastic baggie in a cooler with ice water, that would bring them to exactly 32*.

I would like to try it, I"ll call around tommorow and see if anyone is carring any of this powder.

AZShooter, how much of a velocity change did you see on average over retumbo? I've been considering trying some in my 7STW IF I can find some. Any of you guys tried any RL33 in your STW's? Or does anybody have some input on RL33 in a STW?
I tried rl33 last year with the barnes 171 in my 7stw. It peaked rather quickly and I was at max. pressure at 82 grains. I actually liked rl50 better with heavy pills in my rifle. With rl50 it was doing nearly 3100 fps (24" bbl) at normal pressure with 86 grains rl50. I'll have to try the sierra 175 in my rifle as the barnes match was a bit flaky in the accuracy dept. in this rifle. The slower speeds of the 7mag seem to let the barnes 171 off a bit easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.