Reloder 26 in .375 Ruger

I'm not an expert, in either RL26 or the 375 Ruger, but I'll guess that its a little too slow.

Maybe I spoke too soon...RL17, Norma URP, Ramshot Hunter, and H414 all do well in QL. RL26 is middle of the pack. You can't get enough RL26 in the case....at 103% fill its only 43K psi...

Interesting. Was kinda hoping someone could talk me into it since i can pick up an 8lber pretty cheap. Foiled again hahaha. The fat kid at a pie eating contest in my safe is making me feel like i need a keg!
Thanks for the quick reply.

Interesting. Was kinda hoping someone could talk me into it since i can pick up an 8lber pretty cheap. Foiled again hahaha. The fat kid at a pie eating contest in my safe is making me feel like i need a keg!
Thanks for the quick reply.
I don't have a .375 Ruger and I'm more likely to make a 375/26-Nosler or something close if not a 375 Mjolnir but...

Just to play devils advocate....

Without knowing anything about your COAL and barrel length I threw some stuff in QuickLoad and thought about it for a bit.

Using published COAL and a 22inch barrel for the model, Reloader-17 is the velocity king at ~2750fps and 4200f# at the muzzle. Almost 100% powder burn. However, IMO this will also be a severe recoil. With all the powder expanding in the length of the barrel the equal and opposite reaction will be abrupt.

When I switched the model to Reloader-26, the velocity drops by almost 300fps and the engergy drops by ~800f#.

In thinking about it. I wondered, will the recoil be more like a really hard shove than what I expect from "optimal" to be a like a whack in the shoulder from a baseball bat.

So, more experienced people. Is there a trade off that is worth losing the velocity/power to gain practicality?

Or, just ship it over and I'll use it up in 1 or 2 loads of my 375 design the .375/20mmVulcan (just kidding but I'll take the powder off your hands wink wink)

Thanks so much for putting some thought into that for me. If i could impose a little more, im going w 3.400 oal out of a 20" bbl. Could u throw some varget, 4064, and 4895 in there. To be honest, this gun is one of the softest shooting guns i own. That brake really works. Just a push, nothing more (well that and an insane muzzle blast that pushes the dew off a buzzards back at 200yds) Pushed some 220grainers close to 3100fps for fun with no issues pressure or recoil wise at all. Just love this gun!!

Trying to learn how to post pics...

Attachments

• 20150623_202355.jpg
    20150623_202355.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Thanks so much for putting some thought into that for me. If i could impose a little more, im going w 3.400 oal out of a 20" bbl. Could u throw some varget, 4064, and 4895 in there. To be honest, this gun is one of the softest shooting guns i own. That brake really works. Just a push, nothing more (well that and an insane muzzle blast that pushes the dew off a buzzards back at 200yds) Pushed some 220grainers close to 3100fps for fun with no issues pressure or recoil wise at all. Just love this gun!!
Verget at the same pressures will get an estimated 2590fps and ~3700f#
IMR 4064 is the same as Varget just with less powder though the fill percentage is the same.
You didn't say H or IMR 4895 so I used IMR as it is moer "sane".
IMR4895 at the same pressures will get an estimated 2638fps and ~3800f#

Got some fantastic accuracy today out of a 4895 load today (I wont post it as its STEAMY!) Don't think Im gonna change a thing. Just work out some dope and get in shape for elk season. Thanks again for the help.
Nathan

That's some great info, thanks. Bearing in mind that decent brass life brass would be a plus, I may give 4350 or Re 17 a try. Im loving my accuracy and velocity but brass is showing some wear after two firings. If someone with QL would like to shoot me a PM id love to see what pressure im pushing w my current Imr 4895 load.
Thanks again
Nathan

Does H50bmg powder ever show up as viable ? The reason I ask is that it seems like it is never in short supply.

I've been running the same 82.3gr of H4350 under a 260/270 grain bullet for the last 7 years in my Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan 20" barrel. I shoot the 260 Accubonds for hunting and the 270 Hornady SP for practice. Both shoot to the same POI out to just past 350 yards which is where I stop with this rifle. The velocities are 2725 for the 270 gr load and 2730 for the 260gr bullet.

Brass life is in the 6-7 firings range I imagine. I'm still working on the same 200 pieces of brass that I bought when I got the gun and most of them have 5-6 firings on them now. Reloader 17 may move them faster, but I've seen too many unexpected pressure spikes from Reloader 17 to trust it. Varget would be my next choice behind H4350.

I've also played with the 338/375 Ruger more than most people, in 4 different barrels ranging from 18" to 26". H 4350 is my go to powder in that cartridge as well. It gives almost unreal velocities at moderate pressures from the 18" barreled specialty pistol. Again, Reloader 17 is fast but at the price of unpredictable pressures.

Andrew

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts