Reloder 25 in .270 Wea Mag

dmjhwk

Anyone have a favorite accuracy load , for 140,150 gr .270 Wea Mag w/RL-25? or........? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

You're gonna say what a dork...just give me some loads.
I played with it in a friends 270 wby. We found that RE25 can be somewhat faster than data might make you think. I like the way RE powders burn clean but I'm sure seeing lot to lot variation. Some of my RE 15 & 19 seems real slow.
My re22 seems right....which isn't what a lot of people say...many say it's gotten faster. An RE25 seems faster than data shown in many calibers.

To shorten the story here is my advice....start 1 grain more than your favorite RE22/I7828 load and go up from there. If I had to bet I'd say from my experience you will hit the same speed just 1.5 grains more than RE22. My buddies gun shot great with either of the loads but seemed a tad better with the RE25.
You might even want to start at the max load of RE22/7828 and work up in .5 grain increments and see if you find a sweetspot.

I have loaded reloader 19 and 22 in my 270 win and 270 wby
19 is way slow 22 is fast and accurate not sure on the reloader 25

[ QUOTE ]
I have loaded reloader 19 and 22 in my 270 win and 270 wby
19 is way slow 22 is fast and accurate not sure on the reloader 25

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your reference? Velocity produced or powder burning rate. I think I'm missing something here?

Thanks for the input guys-
1)No dork would know any of that,-first issue!
2)Lots of info on rl-22-so I will obtain some,...until then, I'm stocked with H4831,IMR4350,and obviously RL-25. When rl-25 first came out, it was supposed to be better than 7828, I loaded some 160NP's for an inch, but it has been a few years(a broken stock, a replacement, full length bedding and reassembly, now playing with correct forend press with shims, at 6lbs I get .75 with fact. 150HORN,BUT-I still get the odd flyer)and now even the Alliant site is scarce on rl-25.Are you guys seating "factory" OAL's,(which seems quite short????),or are you finding long is the WAY?
" No one of us is smarter than ALL of us ..."
thanks-
Dave

270 Win/58.5gr RL-22 140gr Hornady BTSP, 3200 FPS MV very small groups. Hot load, work up from below.

270 Win - Same load but w/Nosler 130 Balllistic tips - 3325 FPS MV, again very accurate.

Found that seating the 140 Hornady with the bottom of the crimping ring precisely at the case mouth was perfect. That seating die setting works well.

gnslgr-The 270 wby is a gun that's sometimes hard to talk about because of variables. I use Rem 7mmwby brass to make my 270wby brass. It has alot less capacity than reg wby brass and can make a 2-3 grain difference right off the bat.
Also there are weatherby rifles and then there are others without freebore. So no matter what anyone says be carefull and take "loads" with a grain of salt. Also bullets like the 150 hornady for some reason may make less pressure than say partitions.
All that being said...we got up to a very max load of 72.0 under 150 hornady using weatherby brass. His gun shoots this really good.
When we played with the re25 we got up to 73.5 and that was absolute max. I have an older hornady book and it shows under their 150 grain bullet...72.2 re 22 and 73.3
I7828 as max loads. I think in the later books they dropped these down about 3 grains. I can't imagine you would be able to run any hotter than these published loads.
We all know that WBY factory is pretty much loaded to the max. What I would recomend as a "thermometer" IN YOUR GUN is to chrono some factory ammo and be happy when you get to within 50fps of that with your loads. ABSOLUTELY stop when you match them even if you aren't getting extractor marks or bolt lift resistance.
For me great accuracy near top speed is the goal but if I have to give one or the other up I'll sure take accuracy at 100-150 fps slower any day of the week. IE 3" groups at 300yds are far better than 6" groups or those with flyers.
I hope some of this helped.....it's more theory than recomendation I guess.

RE the OAL--I usually hang 'em out but I've seen where factory OAL has been the "sweetspot" for people too. It's all a matter of experimenting with your gun.

gnslgr,
I have found that for accuracy the area of OAL to be in 257 (same case different bore) to be in the 3.300 - 3.330 pending bullet used. Factory barreled Wthrby's like the top of the charts for accuracy due to the 'Freebore'

Remington hasn't made the 7mmwby for quite a while..I just have a small stockpile of it.
I have heard of people simply running normal 7mm mag through their 257wby die and it's worked out great so I would think you could give it a try with the 270 wby....it should actually be less work than going down to .257.
Personally I haven't done that with the 7mm mag so maybe ask around or start another post??

Re:RE\'S: Reloder 25 in .270 Wea Mag

"Roger that" to all of the replies-as to the top end of RL-25 on 150's-72g had no signs, at 73g-the rounds appeared fine, easy extraction, no primer leakage, ring around the web etc-however , closer scrutiny(due to this thread)revealed a slight cratering (not sure of correct term, but...)effect around the firing pin dimple, -as a slightly raised ring around same.Also the ejector "mark" was a definate ring-most prominant in the longer oal group,and somewhat intermitant with the shorties.As far as available
"bandwidth" in the velocity/accuracy dept- plus or minus 150fps,or even 200 still has us in the 3000fps/150grn-probably there's not too many beasts that could recognize that.A slow .270 wea mag is still VERY FAST!In light of all this-I guess I should break down and get a chrono now.And some RL-22....THANKS AGAIN-
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.