Reloder 23 in .308 win

4thHorseman

Can someone give me a quickload on .308 win using Reloder 23 and 168 gr smk's in a 20" barrel?
I know it's probably not the best powder choice, but it's all I have until the " magic dust" reappears on shelves.
Thanks in advance.
Horseman

Quickload needs more info. Water capacity for your fired case, OAL, case length, barrel length from muzzle to bolt face

If you're ever in East Idaho, I'd trade RL23 for some powders I have that are good in the 308. I've got at least 3 that would be better than RL23

It's simply much too slow...try it though, it'll still go boom. I had this happen with a .300 win and some h50bmg I came into. Can't fit enough in the case to reach pressure. Burned filthy. Also created stupid accurate loads with 220 round nose and 208 Amax, just a full 2-300 FPS slower than normal. If you're just wanting to shoot for fun there's no reason you can't do this. It'll be underpowered and loud and might be very accurate for all we know. Do let us know if it works.

I would still like to see what quickload says. I can get about 44-45 grains in there.
quickload is not a loading manual, it is for experienced reloaders that have the knowledge to caliberate to their equipment then allowing them to think outside the box. I didn't have to even use my quickload to know RL-23 is way to slow but I checked with 45.0gr of RL-23 don't even get you to 29000 psi way to slow could end up with hangfires which is even more dangerous

quickload is not a loading manual, it is for experienced reloaders that have the knowledge to caliberate to their equipment then allowing them to think outside the box. I didn't have to even use my quickload to know RL-23 is way to slow but I checked with 45.0gr of RL-23 don't even get you to 29000 psi way to slow could end up with hangfires which is even more dangerous
While I think this is a bit overly alarmist I'll add to it that for these reasons a magnum primer wouldn't be a bad idea...though I really don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as hangfires.

if you have anything heavier than 168 it'd work better for sure.

don't know if you crimp but crimping might also ensure consistent ignition with this combo.

While I think this is a bit overly alarmist I'll add to it that for these reasons a magnum primer wouldn't be a bad idea...though I really don't think you've got anything to worry about as far as hangfires.

if you have anything heavier than 168 it'd work better for sure.

don't know if you crimp but crimping might also ensure consistent ignition with this combo.
you think I am an alarmist? I ran your 220RN with BMG at least when your at max case full your at 51000psi on a case rated for 64000psi so basically a starting load. the 308 is not even half way to the 62000psi rating its is only 28900psi a starting load will start closer to 48000psi.
alarmist don't think so, common sense ya.
he needs to trade with someone close to him for a more suitable powder or keep an eye on powder valley they have been doing good with powders in the proper burn rate, if I wasn't 3000 miles away I would be glad to trade with him

you think I am an alarmist? I ran your 220RN with BMG at least when your at max case full your at 51000psi on a case rated for 64000psi so basically a starting load. the 308 is not even half way to the 62000psi rating its is only 28900psi a starting load will start closer to 48000psi.
alarmist don't think so, common sense ya.
he needs to trade with someone close to him for a more suitable powder or keep an eye on powder valley they have been doing good with powders in the proper burn rate, if I wasn't 3000 miles away I would be glad to trade with him
Didn't mean any offence. I just don't see how this would be dangerous. Low psi in itself isn't a cause of hangfires. Now If you have too low of a case fill that's a different story but that sure won't be the case here. All kinds of cartridges out there operating around this pressure, even lower. Maybe alarmist wasn't the right word.

While I appreciate the input, I'm someone that needs to see the data for myself. Anyone up to running the numbers on Quickload? By the way I worked on a test round and it looks like 46.6 grs with light compression. 47 might be doable with seating it out to 2.8015 and a bit more compression.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.