Reloads dont fit down in magazine. To long now what?

garyx

I have a Christesen arms 300 rum. Remington action. Loading 180 Nosler accubonds with 95 gr of retumbo. I'm .025 off the lands. The gun is a tack driver. Never tried to put bullet in the magazine until I went out west. Oops. To long by about .130. Now what just seat bullet back so it will fit into magazine. I'm going to be at least .150 off the lands. Is this common. What do you think is going to happen to my accuracy.

I prefer single shots these days anyway. 1 in the tube and two next to the rifle prone. gun)
A slight variation-I use a slip on cartridge holder so there are rounds available whenever I pick it up, and load singly. 3 rounds seems to be what I have on there most times.

Hi there, I would do another round of load development on an OAL that will fit your mag length!
That way you will already have a load that you know works but can only be single feed only & one that will work to mag length for when you are out hunting.
You wont know the difference in accuracy until you try the new loads.
You never know the mag lenght round may be even better as some rounds go better with more jump!

Most of us have run into the same problem at some time or another. One thing that I've noticed is that "one" long round will usually fit into the magazine because the bullet tip sits over the feed ramp rather than down into the magazine well where multiple rounds stack.

That should at least provide you with a quick follow-up shot without having to manually reload.

Most of us have run into the same problem at some time or another. One thing that I've noticed is that "one" long round will usually fit into the magazine because the bullet tip sits over the feed ramp rather than down into the magazine well where multiple rounds stack.

That should at least provide you with a quick follow-up shot without having to manually reload.
Thats probably correct but then you would have different POI between the rounds IMO.

Have seen that some people have taken a Dremel tool to the fronf of the magazine know that it works with a single stack mag beleive that is an article on this web site on how to cut the mag

Why would you say that?
Well if understand what you were saying correctly the cartridge on top of the mag with a longer OAL will give a different POI to the other cartridges lower in the mag because they have a shorter OAL??
Different OAL's so different pressure so different POI, right??
Or did I miss understand you??

I think you could probably shorten them enough to fit, and it would not hurt accuracy enough that you would notice. You are after hunting accuracy, not benchrest. .25" at 100 would only make you 2" off at 800, and I'm sure at that range that you have a lot of other variables. I can't personally shoot that far but I am sure you are a lot better shot than I am. The longest shot I ever made, was on an Antelope at 450 yds. with 140 gr. 270. Held 6' over his back and hit right in the heart, and I know it was luck on my part. My calculation might be way off also.

Last edited:
Well if understand what you were saying correctly the cartridge on top of the mag with a longer OAL will give a different POI to the other cartridges lower in the mag because they have a shorter OAL??
Different OAL's so different pressure so different POI, right??
Or did I miss understand you??

What I was saying was that the reloaded round that will not fit down into the magazine well will fit in the top of the magazine where the bullet tip overhangs the well and rests over the feed ramp. Therefore, you can put one (long) reload into the chamber and another one into the top of the magazine and have a two shot rifle. I've done this many times and never felt handicapped by having only one follow up shot available.

Shorten them to fit in your mag. Odds are any change in accuracy will be miniscule. I had the same issue with my .308 and I didn't notice a change in accuracy at all.

I single feed. My rifle shot better with a short jump so i do just like broz said and drop one in the gun and keep two near by. If you shoot a long cartridge and then follow it up with a shorter cartridge, depending on the size difference in the two, you could experience a POI shift. If not you did a really good job developing a load and extending the bullet further in the case isn't necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.