Reloading with fillers to control powder position

Topaz454

In the "old days" ... now I'm dating myself... fillers were used to keep powder against primer flash to better control inconsistency. Cream of wheat? Kapoc- don't have any of that anymore.

Any comment on using fillers to control powder position versus trying to find a powder that fills the case AND works with you rifle and bullet selection?

Wasnt the reason that methods like that were used was because there wasnt as many powders available, nor burn rates. So that was something used as a work around?

If we fill a case with something that doesnt go boom, shouldn't we just shoot a smaller cartridge?

I have no first hand knowledge of this, just remember my uncle talking about that process when I was a kid who was hooked on gun powder in the 80's.

versus trying to find a powder that fills the case AND works with you rifle and bullet selection?

You answered your own question really.

Imo you should try to use a powder with enough bulk density to form a safe working load.
Any charge that is in a modern manual will achieve this.

Slower powders are bulkier, faster powders less so if you intend to use projectiles on the heaviest side I try to use a powder that will allow enough room for it to be seated into the case(so avoiding heavily compressed loads).

There is also phenomenon called secondary explosive effect where using well below minimum loads especially with slow powders can produce 2 detonations, not good for you or the rifle!

Also I think cream of wheat was used mainly to fire form cases, not really to take up the empty space in a cases.

Last edited:
Wasnt the reason that methods like that were used was because there wasnt as many powders available, nor burn rates. So that was something used as a work around?

If we fill a case with something that doesnt go boom, shouldn't we just shoot a smaller cartridge?

I have no first hand knowledge of this, just remember my uncle talking about that process when I was a kid who was hooked on gun powder in the 80's.

tdot, Some handloaders shoot cast bullets in their big game rifles. As you generally keep velocities below 2000 fps, we would use a filler to help get consistent ignition. Back in the day, we didn't have the variety of powders that we are blessed with today. Even with today's powders, I may have trouble finding a powder that would give adequate "case fill", when shooting cast bullets in my .375 AI or my wife's .338 WM! memtb

tdot, Some handloaders shoot cast bullets in their big game rifles. As you generally keep velocities below 2000 fps, we would use a filler to help get consistent ignition. Back in the day, we didn't have the variety of powders that we are blessed with today. Even with today's powders, I may have trouble finding a powder that would give adequate "case fill", when shooting cast bullets in my .375 AI or my wife's .338 WM! memtb

Cool, thanks.

So would a powder like Trailboss still provide too much velocity with a full case?

I'm actually just starting the research into Subsonic 308 loads. I havent seen this method mentioned anywhere when people discuss subsonic. I wonder if it would work for that too?

OLD Speer reloading manuals used Pillow Filling as a 'spacer' to keep powder near the primer when using reduced power loads. Filling was burned in the barrel and left residue. Subsequent manuals warn against this practice.

Good luck

Jerry

Cool, thanks.

So would a powder like Trailboss still provide too much velocity with a full case?

I'm actually just starting the research into Subsonic 308 loads. I havent seen this method mentioned anywhere when people discuss subsonic. I wonder if it would work for that too?

I'm not sure.....I haven't loaded cast in my rifle in a while. And, I've never used Trail Boss....though I've heard good things about it.

When I first started handloading, 50+ years ago....it was to shoot more and spend less. A small "splash" of a fast burning powder with a filler, went a long way! When your raising a family on around $100/week....you save everywhere you can! ;) memtb

I have a 350 GNR which is a 405 Winchester necked down to 35 caliber. I shoot it out of a TC Contender which has pressure limitations therefore I use pieces of cotton balls to hold the powder in place. It has greatly improved my accuracy.

I have used cream of wheat in cast 45/70 loads. Had measurable accuracy gains doing so. It is tedious but worthwhile if your load development doesnt lead you to accuracy-Valhalla without it.
Trailboss in 308 for subsonic loads is wonderful and easy. I have used it from 147 to 220gr safely and successfully.

I've been using trail boss the last few years in my 222 . For reduced loads for my over under turkey gun . With 55 gr Nosler loading a case full I'm getting 2100 fps which in turn doesn't blow up to much. When I first started down this venture I'd done a bunch of research prior to trying blue dot with pillow stuffing and it worked well also. But then while reading another article on the subject I found an experiment with blue dot where the firearms exploded. Using light loads while I never had an issue I decided to try trail boss instead and not risk it

I regularly use Dacron fillers to keep powders in place when loading my cast lead bullets in rounds like 38-55 , 45-70. These are large capacity cases in which small amounts of fast burning powders like 2400, Unique etc only occupy a small amount of the case. For shot to shot consistency fillets like Dacron make a difference.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.