Reloading Tools... What to buy?

DoubleGobble00

I want to upgrade my reloading procedures and brass prep for my 6.5x47 lapua. I have a little money that I want to spend on it. I am just not sure which tools I should buy first. What tools for reloading or brass prep will increase accuracy more?

I am shooting a Savage Varmint action, HS precision stock, Shilen barrel, and 8.5-25x50 VXIII. It currently can shoot small 100 yard groups in the 2's and I have shot some 1 inch groups at 400 and 1.5 inch at 600 yards. It just is not consistent and would like to close the gaps further or keep it consistently shooting tight.

Right now I have RCBS Rockchunker, digital scale, trickler, RCBS hand primer, primer pocket cleaner, FL Forestner Sizing and Seating dies, and reloading tray.

Things I would like to buy but not sure where to put my money first:
Arbor Press
Wilson Dies
neck turner
primer pocket uniformer
Deburring tool for flash holes
VLD chaffering tool
Case Trimmer
Bullet comparitor
Concentricity Gage
Caliphers

If you have any other recommendations let me know. I appreciate all the help.

DoubleG

Digital Calipers and bullet comparator. If you are already in the 1/4moa range, I'd use the calipers and bullet comparator to document what your currently doing (how far your pushing shoulder back and exact seating depth).

Then I wouldn't change a thing :D

AJ

Thanks AJ... Thanks for the help in the past also. I remember you answering many quesitions I had about reloading several years ago. I now am very addicted to shooting!:D

Are some calipers better than other.. They seem to range from $20 to $200... Not sure why they are so different or what would be a good pair that would not break the bank.

I am thinking the bullet comparitor is a must also... I have been having some bullet seat tighter than others. This has increased my vertical in my loads. When the bullets seat consistent is when I get the small groups. I want to try and keep them all consistent.

I assume that measuring them with the bullet comparitor would be the ticket. Find out the exact distance and stick with it....

What is the bullet is seated too deep? Would it need to be pulled, resized, and then reseated? I am just curious to the process. Thanks...

I have no idea how far the shoulder is being bumped back.. I just head spaced with go and then taped it for a no go and wala... I started shooting.

DoubleG

I use a Starrett digital calipers, they are around $100 and a joy to use. I also have a cheap $20 set that I will take to the range, but the good ones stay home safe and sound. Whichever one you get, make sure they have an auto shut off, or you will constantly have digital calipers with dead batteries!

Along with the Hornady LNL bullet comparator, get the Hornady Headspace gauge kit. It looks almost the same, but the inserts are built to touch the datum point on the shoulder of the cartridge. By using them, you can see how much you are resizing your brass.

As far as the help, no problem. If you ever have a question, drop me a note or get my phone number and give me a call.

Later,
AJ

A ball tube micrometer, especially if you are going to neck turn. You can check the brass thickness at various locations on the case.

Arbor Press
Wilson Dies
neck turner
primer pocket uniformer
Deburring tool for flash holes
VLD chaffering tool
Case Trimmer
Bullet comparitor
Concentricity Gage
Caliphers

Your groups are great. The next things you need off this list are:

* Caliper - 6" stainless steel, dial - not electronic, inexpensive Chinese types do us reloaders just as well as machenist grade tools. All of the reloading brands are identical Chink made tools, you can get the best deals from MidwayUSA and Harbor Freight tools.

* Case trimmer - The Wilson is the "best" but not by much. I prefer the Lyman Universal for it's versititility and ease of use.

* A case gage and OAL length gage - Hornady - to mount on your new dial caliper.

* Concentricity Gage - Sinclair's is the best tool, and for a modest price. With it you can see if bent rounds are part of what's causing your flyers and help you find what's causing it.

* A VLD reamer only if you are using VLD bullets. ??

* Flash hole depur tool - RCBS

* Primer Pocket Uniformer - any brand, Lyman's is good for me.

* Neck Turner - Foster's HOT-100 works as good as any and for not much.

I seriously doubt you would see any significant benefit from using hand dies and an arbor presses. But....? Who knows.

DoubleG I noticed you joined www.benchrestcentral that site is full of benchrest shooters willing to help. In your post you mentioned that some of your bullets are seating with more friction that others. One way to eliminate that is to buy a redding full length bushing neck die, With this die you can select the bushing that will match the diameter of your loaded rounds, The bushing that you should start with would be .002 less than the outside diameter of one of your loaded rounds. The die is a full length bushing die but, when you adjust the the die in your press you can use it to neck size only. When you need to full length resize you can just adjust the die closer to your shellholder.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.