Reloading the berger bullets

Find a suitable powder for the cartridge and projectile.

Ladder test. Find the best node with projectiles loaded .01 off the lands. Works most the time. Some projectiles such as hammer or Barnes to name a few like more room in MY experience.

Find the best group in the accepted velocity range then do a seating depth ladder test to improve accuracy if needed. I stop at 1/2 moa. Confirm accuracy at distance.

If that doesn't work, I change powders or projectiles.

Does this help answer your question?

Some guys like to find the seating depth first. Do what makes you happy.

This is how I go about loading for my hunting rifles.
This answer is getting closer to what I'm wandering

It all depends upon the cartridge/bullet/powder you want to work with.

The powder that gives highest velocity may not give you best accuracy.

If a large volume cartridge such as 300 Win Mag, i look at percentage of case fill. I don't want something that fills below 85%. Or above 104% case fill.

If the bullet is a cup & core (Hornady, Sierra, Nosler) i seat it 0.020" off the lands & do a powder ladder test. Looking for 3 closest vertically.

MY rifles like the VLD closer to the lands (0.005").
So i'll seat to that & do a powder ladder test.

I'll do seating depth ladder after the powder charge.

After that i'll shoot over the chrono.

Then true my velocities and or BC in my ballistics calculator (Strelok Pro) at 600-800 yards.

This answer is getting closer to what I'm wandering
Regardless if you are wandering or wondering, people here are sincerely trying to help you. It appears that you are asking for our step-by-step cradle-to-grave load development processes.

I assure you those of us that hand-load Berger bullets have their reloading manual along with updates from their Tech Support and lessons learned shared by the LRH community.

Bergerreloading manual.jpg

The reloading manuals cover most of what you need, and most of us might add additional steps, streamline it, or have developed our own ways. I suggest getting a reloading manual and getting acquainted with the important process to include safety measures. Take your time and enjoy the learning process. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have a hard time trying to explain what I'm wandering. Words and thoughts doesn't come out as fluent as most people. Recon$$ was the one who put my thoughts down. I have the book, had it for several years.

I have a hard time trying to explain what I'm wandering. Words and thoughts doesn't come out as fluent as most people. Recon$$ was the one who put my thoughts down. I have the book, had it for several years.
And yet you never responded to those that referred to having a reloading manual. As I said, people are genuinely trying to help you.

Use a manual for loading. Start at the minimum charge weight and work up from there. Sadly, in current conditions, powder choice may be more about availability.

In most cases an internet search will reveal a powder for most cartridges that a majority of people like for that specific caliber/bullet weight.

Also, many reloading manuals give you case fill percentages. Generally a powder that fills to near 100 percent will be most consistent. Hope this is helpful.
The odd time a solution presents itself. I used to load and shoot 8x57. I meticulously researched and tested all the powders available at the time. Then I met a 8x57 "expert" and he said his best loads were simply scooping 4350 into the case, level with the top, and compressing the load with the mid-weight bullet. My manuals did not indicate catastrophic pressure so I experimented, starting with scooped powder below the case neck, and adding powder until it filled to the top. Absolutely the best accuracy in my rifle. I dumped a number of full cases onto my scale and there was some variability. I'm guessing the fact of consistency of case fill benefitted more than variations in powder weight hindered. Of course I monitored cases by brand, neck thickness, capacity, etc.

The odd time a solution presents itself. I used to load and shoot 8x57. I meticulously researched and tested all the powders available at the time. Then I met a 8x57 "expert" and he said his best loads were simply scooping 4350 into the case, level with the top, and compressing the load with the mid-weight bullet. My manuals did not indicate catastrophic pressure so I experimented, starting with scooped powder below the case neck, and adding powder until it filled to the top. Absolutely the best accuracy in my rifle. I dumped a number of full cases onto my scale and there was some variability. I'm guessing the fact of consistency of case fill benefitted more than variations in powder weight hindered. Of course I monitored cases by brand, neck thickness, capacity, etc.
If it works, it works.

What you're experiencing is what happens to me every time I have to write an English paper. Especially if it's a subject that I don't like!

break it down and give 2 or 3 words on what you're trying to obtain?
something short so further help could be obtained.

Far from typical, yet you approached it wisely and scientifically, referring to manuals and weighing charges to verify.

I have done very well loading Berger Hybrids .020 off and working back from there if need be.

300 yards with the 140gr Hybrid and the 135gr " Classic Hunter" the "Classic Hunter" is a gem of a bullet.

Several 300 yard groups. Two different rifles. Both have Bartlein 6.5, 3B, 1-8 twist barrels .

Attachments

• 4A2D2821-5367-4FED-8DC1-51C2D58B96AE.jpeg
    4A2D2821-5367-4FED-8DC1-51C2D58B96AE.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 33
  • A9D4978B-4FEB-460F-8B28-1371FEB9D9FA.jpeg
    A9D4978B-4FEB-460F-8B28-1371FEB9D9FA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
I have done very well loading Berger Hybrids .020 off and working back from there if need be.

300 yards with the 140gr Hybrid and the 135gr " Classic Hunter" the "Classic Hunter" is a gem of a bullet.

Several 300 yard groups. Two different rifles. Both have Bartlein 6.5, 3B, 1-8 twist barrels .
These numbers are boring as I've told in other threads! Please change the numbers so us not so accurate people have a chance at happiness 🤔 :(🤣🤣🤣🥳🥳🥳🥳

Recent Posts