Reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor

If I am reading correctly, this is scary. NEVER pull data from one powder and use it for another. I will run you a trace on Quickload when I get to my computer. Without published data quickload is probably your best bet for a starting location. Lighter bullets are going to be a higher powder charge to get similar pressure. So not a good idea to go there either. For the 130gr what @Jud96 posted is pretty solid data.

Are you comfortable reading pressure signs? Do you know what your rifle feels like with factory loads? Do you have a chronograph? This is good for any reloading but absolutely essential for where you are going.
Oh no. I will not be doing this. Right now I am trying to gather all the information I can about the 2 powders that I am going to use. This is just something that Berger emailed me. Right now I am using the hodgdon reloading from their website. And gathering all the information I can about these 2 powders. Whatever I find out I will be starting out low on the powder load. Just not a lot of information on the Berger bullets and the StaBALL or Superformance powders. I will continue to study everything before I even start.

I'm a Berger fan, just sayin, up front. I asked a question on their web site and within two hours one of their tech guys was ringing my phone. I like their VLD bullets, but my Howa 1500 magazine isn't long enough. VLD groups were unacceptable with more jump required in the Howa. In my experience, VLD's need to be seated within 0.020 of the lands. No room in the magazine for that. The tech recommended their 130 gr tactical or 135 gr Classic Hunter bullets. Also noted that Berger had good luck with AA 4350. My rifle didn't like the 130's. 135's were not much better, until I hit the magic point where I shot a 0.272" group at 100 yards out of a $600 rifle. Freakin amazing!! Their recommendation was to seat both at SAMMI max (2.825") OAL so they fit commercial magazines. My magic happened at 43.0 gr H4350, CCI 200 primer, Hornady brass. CAUTION: work up to that point in your rifle!!!! Berger lists the Max load @ 43.2 gr of AA-4350. My load for my rifle uses H-4350 because that's what I could buy. I started at 40 gr and worked up in 1/2 grain increments to 43.0 gr. Actually, I was about to give up. The groups @ 42.5 gr and less where borderline sub-minute accuracy. My MagnetoSpeed indicates muzzle velocity @ 2750 fps which seems low compared to the Berger published velocity of 2835 fps with 43.2 gr AA-4350. The H-4350 must not be as hot as the AA-4350.

I'm a Berger fan, just sayin, up front. I asked a question on their web site and within two hours one of their tech guys was ringing my phone. I like their VLD bullets, but my Howa 1500 magazine isn't long enough. VLD groups were unacceptable with more jump required in the Howa. In my experience, VLD's need to be seated within 0.020 of the lands. No room in the magazine for that. The tech recommended their 130 gr tactical or 135 gr Classic Hunter bullets. Also noted that Berger had good luck with AA 4350. My rifle didn't like the 130's. 135's were not much better, until I hit the magic point where I shot a 0.272" group at 100 yards out of a $600 rifle. Freakin amazing!! Their recommendation was to seat both at SAMMI max (2.825") OAL so they fit commercial magazines. My magic happened at 43.0 gr H4350, CCI 200 primer, Hornady brass. CAUTION: work up to that point in your rifle!!!! Berger lists the Max load @ 43.2 gr of AA-4350. My load for my rifle uses H-4350 because that's what I could buy. I started at 40 gr and worked up in 1/2 grain increments to 43.0 gr. Actually, I was about to give up. The groups @ 42.5 gr and less where borderline sub-minute accuracy. My MagnetoSpeed indicates muzzle velocity @ 2750 fps which seems low compared to the Berger published velocity of 2835 fps with 43.2 gr AA-4350. The H-4350 must not be as hot as the AA-4350.
The more I read about different powders and bullets every firearm, of course, is different and just likes what it wants. I just found and ordered some Varget. So at least for now I have 3 different powders to work with.

StaBall 6.5 is quite new. In my 6.5 CM rifles the superformance and StaBall are almost the same in the way they act/results approaching pressure, etc. Certainly not interchangeable but if I loaded rounds up to give similar speeds accuracy and groups, etc. are very similar. RL26 is an entirely different animal. It is MUCH faster to the tune of 150-200fps and IMO just an all around better choice for the Creed. Good luck getting it though, especially now. I finally lucked into a good supply thankfully.

Either Staball or Superformance will give great results and have easily equaled the best factory loads from my experience. Varget is an excellent powder but quite fast for the Creed. Speed should be quite a bit better with the other two.

I would stick with the StaBall. It's temperature stable and a good powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Berger VLDs also shoot awesome and that's a great bullet weight for a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would measure the cartridge base to shoulder datum on a fired case and setup your full length sizing die to bump your shoulders .001-.002 for easy chambering and consistency. Then I would do a seating depth test with those Berger's and see what COAL shoots the best. Then test your powder from 2.5-3gr under max and work up until you find a good velocity node. Keep us updated and if you have questions feel free to ask! 👍
What are you considering stable?
Myself and a few others have seen otherwise 1-1.3fps above 55°F.
Just out of curiosity

1600897092216.png

H4350 and RL16 has been the cat's meow from the 6.5 Creed, since those are far and few between another temp stable powder that has the same burn rate as 4350 is IMR 4451 and for similar in Hodgdon Varget, IMR 4166 will be at the same burn rate. I show both of these are available at Midsouth Shooter Supply, same thing for Hodgdon H1000, IMR 7977 is the same burn rate. You can find load data for these powders on Hodgdon website.

Pizzaman1, just to clarrify - what Hodgdon powder are you referring to?
If the guy you spoke with was Bob Blaine- you scored big time. Have had the pleasure to talk to him- a veritable fountain of information. Bob answers all your questions and to say he is knowledgeable- is an understatement!

If you could find some H4350 or R26. Last night powder valley had some 26 keep checking back. H4350 is the truth with 140 gr bullets. It was the powder used in Hornadys original load. I put eight different charge weights into less than an inch during load work ups. R26 is faster but not quite as accurate for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.