Reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor

I would strongly recommend that you start building a relationship with the Berger tech guys. They are amongst the best in the business. They are patient, personable and incredibly knowledgeable. All are accomplished reloaders, which is quite important when seeking complicated information.

Their phone number is 660-460-2802.
What he Said!

I would strongly recommend that you start building a relationship with the Berger tech guys. They are amongst the best in the business. They are patient, personable and incredibly knowledgeable. All are accomplished reloaders, which is quite important when seeking complicated information.

Their phone number is 660-460-2802.
Yes. I have contacted them and they are very eager to help.

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site, just joined. I was finally able to get all of my reloading equipment, some powder, and some bullets. I say some because everything is far and in between. I was going to reload some Hornady 143gr eldx, but not able to get any right now. Also powder is short supply too, at least for me. I already have my COAL (Cartridge Over All Length). Thanks in advance for your help. So here is what I have and what I am going to reload for now:
Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor 1in8 twist
Powders: StaBALL or Superformance
Bullet: Berger 130 gr. VLD Hollow Points
CCI Large Rifle Primers
Once fired (in my rifle) Hornady brass

6.5CM
I have the same gun. Hodgdon recommends starting at 39.9 grains @2582fps to max of 44.3 grains@2889fps with the 130 grain bullet.
I have had excellent results with Hodgon H-4350 powder and Hornady 140-grain ELDM bullets.
Suggest that you work up your loads very carefully keeping track of how much powder and bullet jump that you are using ( I have found that on both of my 6.5 Creedmoor rifles one prefers a - .20" jump while the other prefers a -.040" jump using the Hornady 140 grain ELDM bullet.
For starters, I determine the seating depth of the bullet to the lands in the barrel using the Hornady straight OAL Gauge and a modified fire formed case in 6.5 Creedmoor, and a Hornady 140 grain ELDM bullet.
This dimension is only used as a reference starting point and again watching my Chrono while recording the optimum Sd, and ES.
Since each rifle will shoot best with a certain powder and amount in grains for safety's sake I will not suggest any amount of powder as a starting point but rather suggest that you refer to any loading manual.
My advice is to first establish your correct powder measurement.
Once that is done now work on your jump factor. This cannot be done by the book but rather through trial and error and a careful examination of your targets.
Using the Satterlee test and a good chronograph will certainly guide you in the right direction.
Work up your loads slowly and carefully while documenting everything and you will be alright.
Just remember to take your time and again document everything each time you fire a shot downrange!
In Closing:
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a real sweet round & your gonna love it!

Last edited:
Just tagging in here.
Hey what is the chance any of you guys have tried the 140 VLD with RL 26 in the 6.5 creedmoor?
Thanks.
Mitchell
We shoot RL26 with 140gr ELDs in a Savage 6.5 Creedmoor. We use Peterson large rifle primer brass and 45.5gr goes 2850fps with single digit ES and sub 1/2 MOA groups.

Great. Have you had a chance to do any reloading data?
I have about 30 rounds loaded, but I haven't had time to go to the range-was going to go tomorrow, but painters are coming in the morning. Hopefully Friday or by the weekend I'll have a chance. I did buy some Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo 129 Gr Interlocks to break in the barrel and sight the rifle in. Those shot very well, so much so that I was zeroed in in 3 shots @50 yrds. I do have some factory 143 Gr ELD-X's I'm going to shoot when I get to the range.

I have about 30 rounds loaded, but I haven't had time to go to the range-was going to go tomorrow, but painters are coming in the morning. Hopefully Friday or by the weekend I'll have a chance. I did buy some Hornady American Whitetail factory ammo 129 Gr Interlocks to break in the barrel and sight the rifle in. Those shot very well, so much so that I was zeroed in in 3 shots @50 yrds. I do have some factory 143 Gr ELD-X's I'm going to shoot when I get to the range.
I have some factory Hornady 143gr eldx. I shot 1" groups at 100 yards. I am still trying to find some for reloading. I was able to keep a 4" group at 300 yards. Good luck and let me know. When I broke the barrel in I shot at 25 yards. By the time I finished I was getting a 1/2" group. Using a lead sled.

Last edited:
I am full length resizing using rcbs dies. I am ordering a Redding competition seating die. I installed the Hornady lock-n-load on my RCBS Rockchucker.
A tip I learned when using the RCBS full-length sizers is to put an o-ring on the threads of the decapping assembly and screw it in snug. It will allow the pin to self center and the case necks to be more concentric.

Right now at least for me. Powder is hard to find. That's why I am having to use the StaBALL and Superformance.
You can also find Shooters World Powder out there. Go to their website and find the appropriate powder for your caliber- I ordered some of their "Long Rifle" powder for my 6.5. From what i have read it's gotten favorable reviews.

This is from Berger. They do not have load data on these powders I am going to use. So I will start with the lightest load data and work up:
View attachment 215483
If I am reading correctly, this is scary. NEVER pull data from one powder and use it for another. I will run you a trace on Quickload when I get to my computer. Without published data quickload is probably your best bet for a starting location. Lighter bullets are going to be a higher powder charge to get similar pressure. So not a good idea to go there either. For the 130gr what @Jud96 posted is pretty solid data.

Are you comfortable reading pressure signs? Do you know what your rifle feels like with factory loads? Do you have a chronograph? This is good for any reloading but absolutely essential for where you are going.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.