Reloading the 6.5 Creedmoor

6.5CM

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site, just joined. I was finally able to get all of my reloading equipment, some powder, and some bullets. I say some because everything is far and in between. I was going to reload some Hornady 143gr eldx, but not able to get any right now. Also powder is short supply too, at least for me. I already have my COAL (Cartridge Over All Length). Thanks in advance for your help. So here is what I have and what I am going to reload for now:
Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor 1in8 twist
Powders: StaBALL or Superformance
Bullet: Berger 130 gr. VLD Hollow Points
CCI Large Rifle Primers
Once fired (in my rifle) Hornady brass

6.5CM

I would stick with the StaBall. It's temperature stable and a good powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Berger VLDs also shoot awesome and that's a great bullet weight for a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would measure the cartridge base to shoulder datum on a fired case and setup your full length sizing die to bump your shoulders .001-.002 for easy chambering and consistency. Then I would do a seating depth test with those Berger's and see what COAL shoots the best. Then test your powder from 2.5-3gr under max and work up until you find a good velocity node. Keep us updated and if you have questions feel free to ask! 👍

I would stick with the StaBall. It's temperature stable and a good powder for the 6.5 Creedmoor. Berger VLDs also shoot awesome and that's a great bullet weight for a 6.5 Creedmoor. I would measure the cartridge base to shoulder datum on a fired case and setup your full length sizing die to bump your shoulders .001-.002 for easy chambering and consistency. Then I would do a seating depth test with those Berger's and see what COAL shoots the best. Then test your powder from 2.5-3gr under max and work up until you find a good velocity node. Keep us updated and if you have questions feel free to ask! 👍
Thanks. Do you have a recommendation of a starting powder load? All i have right now is my Hornady manual.

I'm thinking in terms of where I would go given the components you listed. I would go with the Superformance first and shoot an eight shot ladder from 42 to 44 grains and chrono everything. Looking at Hodgdons site, theirs not a listing for 130gr bullets but I believe those would be a safe starting spot. You said you have the oal, if that was measured to the lands, I'd back off around .030 and start from there and keep a close eye for pressure signs. This would give you a good idea of where you're at and can work from there. Make sure your brass is of spec and ready to go. My 2 cents, hope this helps.

I'm thinking in terms of where I would go given the components you listed. I would go with the Superformance first and shoot an eight shot ladder from 42 to 44 grains and chrono everything. Looking at Hodgdons site, theirs not a listing for 130gr bullets but I believe those would be a safe starting spot. You said you have the oal, if that was measured to the lands, I'd back off around .030 and start from there and keep a close eye for pressure signs. This would give you a good idea of where you're at and can work from there. Make sure your brass is of spec and ready to go. My 2 cents, hope this helps.
Thanks. Yes, I measured my COAL to touching the lands several times. I have all of my dies, except I am ordering a competition seating die so I can keep a better eye on my measurements. I have downloaded a technical bulletin from Berger.com on bullet seating. I am always looking for reloading advice and always hope that it will help others. Once I can get started I will post my results. Although I do not have a chronograph just yet.

Thanks. Do you have a recommendation of a starting powder load? All i have right now is my Hornady manual.
Below is Hodgdon's load for a 130gr AccuBond with StaBall. I would start 3gr under max and work up in 0.4gr increments until you hit pressure or find a good velocity node. Look for ejector marks on your brass, primers that aren't round on the edges, and a stiff bolt lift. If you see or feel any of these when working up, stop and back off at least 0.5gr and don't go past there. I would start around .030-.040 off the lands and work back in .005 increments until your groups shrink.
A4F082AC-559C-4D65-83C4-FF1F2C5F9027.png

This is from Berger. They do not have load data on these powders I am going to use. So I will start with the lightest load data and work up:
Notes_200923_084140_1.jpg

Hello everyone,
I am new to the site, just joined. I was finally able to get all of my reloading equipment, some powder, and some bullets. I say some because everything is far and in between. I was going to reload some Hornady 143gr eldx, but not able to get any right now. Also powder is short supply too, at least for me. I already have my COAL (Cartridge Over All Length). Thanks in advance for your help. So here is what I have and what I am going to reload for now:
Savage Axis 6.5 Creedmoor 1in8 twist
Powders: StaBALL or Superformance
Bullet: Berger 130 gr. VLD Hollow Points
CCI Large Rifle Primers
Once fired (in my rifle) Hornady brass

6.5CM
I have the same gun. Hodgdon recommends starting at 39.9 grains @2582fps to max of 44.3 grains@2889fps with the 130 grain bullet. The 130 gr bullet they are referencing is the Nosler Accubond-Sorry for any confusion!

Last edited:
You might also check on what Berger recommends for VLD seating depths. From the info they sent me: Competition - they recommend starting at .010 into (touching) the lands, then .040, .080, ,120, looking for a "sweet spot" .030-.040 wide. Hunting .010, .050, .090, .130. Then .002-.10 to refine it. Shooting them in 3 shot groups. Good luck.

Below is Hodgdon's load for a 130gr AccuBond with StaBall. I would start 3gr under max and work up in 0.4gr increments until you hit pressure or find a good velocity node. Look for ejector marks on your brass, primers that aren't round on the edges, and a stiff bolt lift. If you see or feel any of these when working up, stop and back off at least 0.5gr and don't go past there. I would start around .030-.040 off the lands and work back in .005 increments until your groups shrink.
View attachment 215425
I would strongly recommend that you start building a relationship with the Berger tech guys. They are amongst the best in the business. They are patient, personable and incredibly knowledgeable. All are accomplished reloaders, which is quite important when seeking complicated information.

Their phone number is 660-460-2802.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.