Reloading supplies demand

Okanogan

I got an interesting notice today from Powder Valley. Abbreviated version:

- demand is up 10 fold over night and they are experiencing delays in processing orders
- no more back orders as it takes too long in customer service and they don't know when stock will be replenished
- if it is out of stock, they have it on order but again don't know when it might be available
- don't expect any promotional specials for the foreseeable future with demand this high
- in keeping with their past practice, they are not jacking prices just because of increased demand

I saw some other NRA published info that different vendors are experiencing significant ammo order increases but that they indicated large stocks so supply problems were not currently expected for ammunition. It sounds like that may not be the case for some of our favored components which already tended to be in short supply.

I'm not trying to spark any kind of panic buying or hoarding but thought a heads up from what I consider one of the better providers of reloading supplies might be of interest to the community that aren't on their mailing list.

Last edited:
I drug my feet a little too long. I usually stock up on reloading supplies early in election years. I thought I had a couple months yet, until the Corona virus hit. I still have enough supplies for a lot of shooting, but the powder cabinet has some low containers. I'll just switch rifles and use what I do have. Hope most of you are already stocked.

The interesting part of the NRA thread I read was that in terms of ammo panic, 5.56/.223 was the biggest ticket item. It said sales were up 2000% at the vendor they were getting their info from. Pistol ammo was only up something a little over 100%. Over all ammunition story at this point seemed to be there won't really be a problem as warehouses are still full.

What surprised me and why I shared the thread was the impact on reloading components doesn't quite sound the same according to Powder Valley, and I have a lot of respect for them. (If they aren't number one in the vendor category, they must be near the top of the powder vendors) I know the long range community already had its shortfall in well respected powder and a few other components so I was disappointed to learn of the reloading component panic ahead of the already expected election cycle panic.

Lots of companies canceled online ordering and or back orders -- back to small limits and find what you can in stores -- gonna see scalping prices on sites like armslist real soon. Intetesting part was at my lgs, they still had plenty of 22lr-- guess people stocked up on that stuff years back

Lots of companies canceled online ordering and or back orders -- back to small limits and find what you can in stores -- gonna see scalping prices on sites like armslist real soon. Intetesting part was at my lgs, they still had plenty of 22lr-- guess people stocked up on that stuff years back
Yup. It was after Sandy Hook in early 2013. The Federal 550 round value packs were a precious commodity. That, and anything 5.56. Our local Walmart rationed the 22lr.
Anyway, I'm glad to report I got a pound of Varget last week. I was gonna buy 2 but I decided to leave some for my brothers. That took some restraint on my part. Aren't you guys proud of me?

Yup. It was after Sandy Hook in early 2013. The Federal 550 round value packs were a precious commodity. That, and anything 5.56. Our local Walmart rationed the 22lr.
Anyway, I'm glad to report I got a pound of Varget last week. I was gonna buy 2 but I decided to leave some for my brothers. That took some restraint on my part. Aren't you guys proud of me?
You got lucky, I've been trying to find Varget for quite a while. The empty feeling when you realize the 2nd jug of powder on the back shelf is empty also. You're strong willed for being able to hold back!

Yes I am I'm definitely proud of you Speaking for myself that would be a difficult decision

My local little shop got hit hard other day....one guy walked in and bought 1500$ in loaded ammo....almost every 223...and components....
Some 8# 4350.....but i didn't want one of those....now had it been rl26 or 23....or 33......different story....

My local little shop got hit hard other day....one guy walked in and bought 1500$ in loaded ammo....almost every 223...and components....
Some 8# 4350.....but i didn't want one of those....now had it been rl26 or 23....or 33......different story....
Your local store has RL26? Wow, that's even better than having toilet paper.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.