Reloading Suggestions?

PartsJr.

I'm looking for suggestions to get better hand loads for my .280ai.

Gun: blue printed Rem 700
26" 1:9 Brux barrel
Pushing 139gr LRX 3100fps using 61.5gr H4831sc

I measured my fired cases (3rd or 4th firing) at the neck and get .315"

My cases measured 2.520" in length b4 and after shooting. No case growth.

Cases were lubed (sprayed: case mouth, neck and body) using One Shot.

After full length (RCBS FL die) resizing I bumped the shoulder .002" back.

My measured case length after FL resize is 2.525" or .005" longer.

After FL sizing my neck diameter measured 2.309" or .006" smaller than fired round.

After seating a .284 cal bullet my neck measures .312"

Should I be getting this much stretch after full length sizing? I would prefer to minimize this and avoid trimming.

Is my neck tension too tight?

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

This is why I use Redding bushing dies and expand with a mandrel. But if you anneal you will be fine. Most times we shoot for. 003-.004 clearance on a hunting rifle. Your .312 to. 315 is about perfect. All standard dies size to much and then expand. When you pull a button expander up through the neck it tends to stretch the case.

When I reload 25-06 I use a redding type s full length bushing die and 21st century expanding mandrel to set neck tension. I bump the shoulder back .002" and try my best to get .002" neck tension. .003" shoulder bump and .003" neck tension work also but thats about as far as I'd work brass.

I'd ditch your expander ball and grab a mandrel. Might try lubeing your case mouths with dry lube as well.

This is why I use Redding bushing dies and expand with a mandrel. But if you anneal you will be fine. Most times we shoot for. 003-.004 clearance on a hunting rifle. Your .312 to. 315 is about perfect. All standard dies size to much and then expand. When you pull a button expander up through the neck it tends to stretch the case.
This example is false, the neck is NOT pulled through by the expander, the brass that has been squeezed closely back to normal spec has only ONE place to go….the shoulder and neck, squeezing the neck smaller elongates it, just like fire forming an improved case shortens the neck, the brass has to migrate.
Hone your dies neck and polish the expander so that brass is only moved a total of .0015-.002" and the migration becomes a lot less. In fact any elongation after a couple of firings ceases to exist.

Cheers.

I've seen cases measure the same overall length before and after firing which was no surprise if sized for minimum shoulder bump. Then, when resized, they "grow" about 5 thou. I agree with sedancowboy that it's from compressing the body down which forces the neck forward. To try to minimize case growth I've compared a bushing die to only size the neck with a FL Forster die that was custom reamed for minimum neck dia. reduction. On-paper results favored the Forster die though I still got a bit of case growth.

After 60 years of reloading, I decided to do mandrel expanding on all my reloads.
It is an extra step but with annealing after each firing (Annealeez) and using the mandrel the brass is lasting much longer. I lube the case necks with graphite. I minimally bump the shoulder after the first couple of firings.
Small investment but significant gain.

Thank you for the input so far.

If I were to go with a Redding (or similar) die, what size neck bushings would you order (fired case measures .315")?

.313, .312, .311"?

Would this type of die also allow me to bump my shoulder back slightly?

Would I need to run a mandrel through the neck again after resizing?

By minimally sizing the neck will this style of die reduce my case stretching?

Thanks.

I also use the "modern: reloading dies, expanders, etc. I also have used just the standard reloading dies from RCBS to load my custom 25-06, which, when I do my part, rare these days, can produce the "5 under a dime" at 100 yards. I haven't changed the loading process for that rifle since it was built. I like the newest reloading products that give me the best consistent loads. IMO I give the rifle what it needs, and they all tell us what they prefer, assuming we actually listen.

I'm looking for suggestions to get better hand loads for my .280ai.

Gun: blue printed Rem 700
26" 1:9 Brux barrel
Pushing 139gr LRX 3100fps using 61.5gr H4831sc

I measured my fired cases (3rd or 4th firing) at the neck and get .315"

My cases measured 2.520" in length b4 and after shooting. No case growth.

Cases were lubed (sprayed: case mouth, neck and body) using One Shot.

After full length (RCBS FL die) resizing I bumped the shoulder .002" back.

My measured case length after FL resize is 2.525" or .005" longer.

After FL sizing my neck diameter measured 2.309" or .006" smaller than fired round.

After seating a .284 cal bullet my neck measures .312"

Should I be getting this much stretch after full length sizing? I would prefer to minimize this and avoid trimming.

Is my neck tension too tight?

Suggestions are welcome. Thanks.
This is just one idea that most of our better shooters are trying and seems to work for them. They anneal the neck and shoulder of each case before resizing, then use a seperate inside neck sizing pin to get the neck tension they want. They buy a set of neck sizing pins so they have a choice of several to work with. If the outside of the neck is too large to work in their chamber they turn the necks down so there is plenty of room for the neck to expand when the cartridge is fired.

If I were to go with a Redding (or similar) die, what size neck bushings would you order (fired case measures .315")?

.313, .312, .311"?

Thanks.
Fired diameter does not matter, it's easy to just measure the diameter of a loaded round in the brass you will use. it's loaded diameter minus your desired neck tension… common is .002 to .003.

you can FL size without an expander ball and use a 21st Century mandrel or pin gauge to set your final neck tension
or
you can FL size without using either expander method. I wouldn't do this if my case necks were out of round or dinged up.
or
You can also use the expander ball that came with the bushing die.

unless you buy bushing neck dies, you will be able to bump the shoulder.

IMO short action customs makes the best bushings hands down. Runout is improved over all others. They are expensive abiut $35 each and they tend to sell out fast.

the less you work the brass the slower it will stretch and the longer it will last. Annealing helps, but the brass will keep flowing and primer pockets tend to loosen.

This is just one idea that most of our better shooters are trying and seems to work for them. They anneal the neck and shoulder of each case before resizing, then use a seperate inside neck sizing pin to get the neck tension they want. They buy a set of neck sizing pins so they have a choice of several to work with. If the outside of the neck is too large to work in their chamber they turn the necks down so there is plenty of room for the neck to expand when the cartridge is fired.
Since I am not familiar with your caliber, I cannot provide you with accurate information.

Fired diameter does not matter, it's easy to just measure the diameter of a loaded round in the brass you will use. it's loaded diameter minus your desired neck tension… common is .002 to .003.

you can FL size without an expander ball and use a 21st Century mandrel or pin gauge to set your final neck tension
or
you can FL size without using either expander method. I wouldn't do this if my case necks were out of round or dinged up.
or
You can also use the expander ball that came with the bushing die.

unless you buy bushing neck dies, you will be able to bump the shoulder.

IMO short action customs makes the best bushings hands down. Runout is improved over all others. They are expensive abiut $35 each and they tend to sell out fast.

the less you work the brass the slower it will stretch and the longer it will last. Annealing helps, but the brass will keep flowing and primer pockets tend to loosen.
This is good advice.

As a rookie, I still always recommend getting a live mentor. It will save you lots of time and mistakes.

.313, .312, .311"?

Thanks.
Use a bushing .002-.003 under loaded round neck diameter. This will accout for your current brass neck thickness.

If you purchase a full length bushing die, it will allow you to bump the shoulder back as you desire.

Expanding with a mandrel pushes brass irregularities to the outside and theoretically will give more consistent hoop tension around your bullet.

Any reduction in brass manipulation (squeezing and expanding) should reduce the flow of brass (stretching) as is within your ability to do so.

Recent Posts