Reloading Set or New Rifle? Which One??

benson821

I have been contemplating on starting to reload, I have about 160 rounds of 270 win. and about the same amount of 223.

I have been looking at the Hornady Classic Lock N' Load Complete Set, and getting a tumbler, powder, projectile, primers, etc.
OR
A Savage Model 11 in 22-250, the rifle is $380 new, and i would have to get bases, rings, scope, ammo.

When i do the math both of these come out to about the same price. I don't know what i should get. I initially thought get one now and get the other after X-mas when i get money from X-mas. But I don't think that will work out so if you had to choose one what would you get? Reloading Set or a new coyote rifle, it's a tough choice for me and what you decide give an explanitaion for why you would get it.

P.S. the 223 is from my dad's AR, I was looking at the savage becasue of the price and so that him and i can go out hunting together.

Thanks,
benson_821
snipersmilie.gif

Reloading gives me a way to continue my interest when I am unable to be out shooting.

Either way, what you choose will lead to you getting the other not far down the road.

Rifles .....you end up reloading if you want to shoot substantially.

Once you reload, you will want more rifles to tinker with.

My choice would be to go the reloading route.

Reloading kit hands down. Get the most out of what you have now, quality over quantity. Plus, you can reload some 110gr V-max in that 270 and burn coyotes down like dropped a bomb on them gun)

Reloading kit hands down. Get the most out of what you have now, quality over quantity. Plus, you can reload some 110gr V-max in that 270 and burn coyotes down like dropped a bomb on them gun)

Ordered the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit, with 270 win. 135 grain sierra matchking boat tail hollow point, and 223 52 grain A-max boat tail. It should arrive by next friday. Does anybody have this reloading set and is there anything else i will need to get for it?? Also what some good powder for these two rounds?

benson821

You might want a better scale down the road. The RCBS 505 is excellent and not expensive.

For powder I would use H-4831 SC in the 270. The 223 has a dozen good choices. H-4895 is as good or better than most of them

It looks like you have a few dollars left to spend on your hobby. The 270 will work, but it is overkill, so If you still want to consider a new rifle to hunt with your dad, look at Stevens 200 in 223. For around $300 it is a good value. Same action and barrel as a Savage for 1/2 the price. Actually, it is a whole rifle for the cost of a replacement barrel. The other choices might be a Tikka or a Rem Tactical, but they are more money. All of these have fast twist barrels for heavy bullets, and will be more versatile than the 22-250.

The 22-250 is a great round, I just think the economy and practicality of a fast twist 223 is a plus in it's favor, and not that much different performance on the same type of game. At long range, the 223 has a range advantage when heavier bullets are used that the 22-250 cannot stabilize due to the slow twist in 22-250 rifles.

TC

For now go with buying a reloading kit. Reloading can help make a rifle/cartridge more versatile (using different weights and style of bullets as needed for application desired)

Hodgdon Benchmark and 52gr A-max is the varmit load I feed my Bushmaster Varminter 1x9 twist. I tested alot of powders and bullets. Benchrest groups and devastating on the yotes. The load performed the best at max powder charge. The faster I pushed it the tighter the group.

Good choice getting set up to reload.

Ordered the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kit, with 270 win. 135 grain sierra matchking boat tail hollow point, and 223 52 grain A-max boat tail. It should arrive by next friday. Does anybody have this reloading set and is there anything else i will need to get for it?? Also what some good powder for these two rounds?

benson
Get a reloading manual! Read it follow the instructions and load data. I would avoid getting load data from the internet unless it's Nosler or hodgon or something like that. Avoid the Internet forums for load data they are a great place for bullet selection and powder selection but you need to follow the manual. What is safe in my rifle might not be safe in yours. And HAVE FUN!

Currently it is difficult to be too selective with reloading components. First and critical is purchasing some reloading manuals. Spend a considerable amount of time reading the manuals and understanding the basics of reloading. There are several good manuals out there (Nosler, Hornady, Lyman, Berger). They will have the fundamental reloading protocols covered as well as generally safe components (powder charge for bullets, etc) for the cartridges you are loading.
This can be an expensive hobby, but it is definitely worth it if you are willing to make the investment.
Best of luck.

From a value per dollar standpoint reloading tools are at pretty good prices relative to rifles and components right now.

I have been contemplating on starting to reload, I have about 160 rounds of 270 win. and about the same amount of 223.

I have been looking at the Hornady Classic Lock N' Load Complete Set, and getting a tumbler, powder, projectile, primers, etc.
OR
A Savage Model 11 in 22-250, the rifle is $380 new, and i would have to get bases, rings, scope, ammo.

When i do the math both of these come out to about the same price. I don't know what i should get. I initially thought get one now and get the other after X-mas when i get money from X-mas. But I don't think that will work out so if you had to choose one what would you get? Reloading Set or a new coyote rifle, it's a tough choice for me and what you decide give an explanitaion for why you would get it.

P.S. the 223 is from my dad's AR, I was looking at the savage becasue of the price and so that him and i can go out hunting together.

Thanks,
benson_821
snipersmilie.gif
go the reloading route. When weather is ******, like you said...you can always reload. once you own the brass its about 1/2 the cost if not cheaper to reload your own ammo- more accurate too.

OR

Thanks,
benson_821
snipersmilie.gif
I would get the rifle due to our situation about acquiring reloading components nowadays ,if both are about the same initial cost look to the future I believe it would be easier to get loaded ammo although more expensive than reloading components in the future