Reloading scale

Must be the water or something....

Lets all be nice and act-post on here like adults. I know Sully and I are both adults and old farts.

I also know Sully likes his electronic scales and I like the balance beam.

Everyone has a preference. If they didn't, we'd all be shooting Marlin Lever guns, driving Toyota's and voting Democrat.

We aren't because we have preferences.

I've never gotten anal about powder weights in fractions of grains. I typically hunt whitetail so accuracy to me is anywhere in the kill zone which is about 12-14 inches vertically on a mature buck or doe and long range in my part of the country is 300 yards maximum., usually, much closer.

I can't comment on accuracy versus cost on scales because one, I don't know and two, I'm not interfested except to say that watever it is, it needs to work correctly, first time, everytime and I believe a fair assumption to make is.... The smaller the weighing capability and repeatability of any scale is, the more it initially cost.

I'd love to have a bolt action bazooka but in reality my 308 does just fine for my hunting/freezer needs. We actually have enough deer around here that hunting with a ball-pien hammer would work too.

Guess what I'm saying in a round about manner is lets post constructively and informatively. I', for one like an informative discussion devoid of fantasy and pie-in-the-sky claims, not that I can deferentiate between fact and fiction because I can't.

I also check bearing surface on bullets and sort to .001 in , I trim meplats and repoint to increase ballistic coefficient. I weigh and sort cases to 1 grain then check h2o volume. I turn case necks to within .005 for consistent neck tension, then uniform primer pockets, flash holes and chamber outside and VLD champ her inside. No single item will make a visible diff in performance but all tolerances stacked certainly show on the target and the chronograph.

JVON,

No dispute from me on that. I am a firm believer that all of the little things add up. I think what started the "dispute" was the assertion that 0.002gr (I know, I know, extra "0" but was stated 2x which led to the responses) will lead to an obvious POI change at 1K yds. Especially in the context of the OP, where he is talking about "fliers" at an unspecified range.

I'm sure Boomtube's "nonsense" response got your hackles up, but no need to come back with a personal blast. In context, he was correct if not blunt. All in all I'll bet we all agree on more than we don't..... And disputing the relevance of a powder charge variation is not "a reason to go" in my neck of the woods....

.. By the way Sully , don't much care what you think! JVON

Thank the Lord. Means we will stay apart and Im glad cause Ive been forced to be elbow to elbow with nut cases before and didnt care for it.

Im amazed Dr Frankenstein how you pulled yourself out of your "lab roy atory" to bequeath your knowledge upon us mortals; you must be waiting on a lightening bolt to strike....:D

You can fool some of the people with your trick words of various brands of mega dollar scales but you dont impress me even 1 iota.....because Ive heard and read ******** before!

My apology Sully. I'm just a grouchy old fart, and someone prior to you got my dander up. I normally don't post on this forum , but on accurate rifle. Just trying to share some knowledge I have acquired in 40 years of competive shooting and reloading. A scale accurate to one hundredth of a grain , by itself is not the magical ingredient, how ever when you stack all the tolerances, ie case weight, case volume, bullet weight& bearing surface, pointing bullets to increase balistic coefficient, neck turning cases to insure consistent neck pressure etc. when you shoot at a thousand yds I know you won't believe but 1 or 2 granules of powder will show itself! At 100 to 500 yds you will never notice. One good example is trimming meplats and repointing the bullet. In my f class gun 7 WSM at 1000 yds a reprinted berger180 hybrid will impact 10" higher than an out of the box. This is because of the increased BC. The verticalis no big deal, but with that increase in BC the wind factor is reduced which is a big help at 1000yds. Anyway I agin apologize for being a jerk! JVON

While I agree they can weigh 1 grain of Varget....one grain making a big difference...I seriously doubt!

Sully2

Here in Salt Lake City, I have watched the local boys in the long range shoots,

get down to the 1/2 grain in both the powder weight as well as the bullet weight..

JVON,

In an attempt to call you out on your 1 granule of Varget = .02gr, I counted up 50 and put them on both my cheap e-scale and my nice beam scale. So, come and get your come-uppins.......

E-scale : 1.0 grains

Beam scale: 1.0 grains

Wait, wait, that is MY come-uppins! Not kidding when I say my beam was LASER locked on even at 1 grain. Callin' a spade a spade, your 1 granule = .02 grain claim is dead nuts for the Varget I have here. :cool:

Sully2

Here in Salt Lake City, I have watched the local boys in the long range shoots,

get down to the 1/2 grain in both the powder weight as well as the bullet weight..

Not "1 grain" but one individual granule ( grain) of powder. Certainly loads that vary by "1/2 grain" will perform differently

sully;

I HAD to laugh at ME on that one??? LOL Grain for grain

Maybe KELLOG would like to chime in on that one for their CERIAL?? (Grin)

IMO as well....

When I'm being really critical about charges, I weigh each and every one with my beam scale (I have an inherent distrust for electronic scales, no matter what brand).

Bulk loading, I weigh every tenth charge. Now, I use a culver type charging station instead of the normal varible capacity like RCBS or Lee or Hornady sells. A Culver charging station throws inherently more accurate charges but costs substantially more and on the plus side, a Culver unit is unaffected by powder shape. Normal displacement type charging stations do fine with spherical powder but not so good with extruded rod powders. Culver measures don't care about powder extruded shape, they throw consistent charges no matter what.

Finally a slight powder variation shouldn't cause serious accuracy issues, Factory rounds vary a bit. Pull some and weigh them sometime and compare.
Thank you. I use my RCBS 1010 only when loading for my 7mm. just got the best group I have ever had. A alka seltzer covered 4 shot group at 200 yds.:D

For everyone's information, Ohaus makes some **** fine laboratory/medical grade beam scales besides reloading scales.

Of course they cost a Kings ransom but I consider Ohaus to be a quality unit so thats what I use...

Never fear, my abject fear of electronics has me using an abacus for balancing my checkbook too.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.