Reloading safety reminder

Thanks for the input! A question or 2? Thickness of tube, and type of tube, going over the primer tube. the I.D. isn't a problem. I have used a RCBS priming tool from about when they came out. I never had a problem except getting the primers upside down. I am changing to a high end priming tool.
The thickness of the tube is about 1/8 thick. It slides over the RCBS aluminum primer tube. Just a plain length of steel tube, nothing special that I noted. It looks like a steel shield tube that I got with another press I had. This is where I got the idea.

I use that priming tool, however I don't let the tube 'slap' and prime. I use my left hand and gently move the tube over the cup and load a primer, lay it back then I prime a case.

Oh and I always, and I mean ALWAYS wear these when I'm priming.

DTPdXc1.jpg
I am guessing that the guy that got hurt was holding the primer tube when it went off. Take note here. Would explain his hand injuries. I use a rubber band connected to the primer tube shuttle and the bench to help control bounce. It helps, but does not eliminate bounce. Its a design issue here with this type of primer tool. I have had a couple of sideways and upside down primers present themselves. I take my time and don't push it. After I had a small stack go off, I am REAL careful now. Take care.

I would assume the same. I literally give the bugger a light push with my middle finger and lay it back. Very fluid and controlled, and with leather gloves I think a lot of what happened to that guy would've been mitigated. I don't like the 'bounce' feed with that primer. I usually lose a few primers to the shop floor doing it that way, and as precious as primers are these days.....

I would assume the same. I literally give the bugger a light push with my middle finger and lay it back. Very fluid and controlled, and with leather gloves I think a lot of what happened to that guy would've been mitigated. I don't like the 'bounce' feed with that primer. I usually lose a few primers to the shop floor doing it that way, and as precious as primers are these days.....
Primers cost like gold. Rare too. No waste tolerated. Don't like bounce either. Rubber band does help some. Not going to pony up $$$$$ for a CPS from Primal Rights.

What is that at bottom of tube? That looks like the primer seater went up into the tube. If that is the case, it could have compressed the primer column. With so many of these out there it would be a huge benefit to hear step by step how this happened cause I now have the "willies" thinking of priming brass with mine now.
View attachment 355134
Who's primers was he using?

What is that at bottom of tube? That looks like the primer seater went up into the tube. If that is the case, it could have compressed the primer column. With so many of these out there it would be a huge benefit to hear step by step how this happened cause I now have the "willies" thinking of priming brass with mine now.
View attachment 355134
I looked this pic for a good while. I use this rcbs auto primer tool myself. The primer seater is on a 2+ inch shaft. I really don't think the seater shaft is stuck in the primer tube. The seater base is fixed in place with the seater dropped in. I don't see any base damage. It would be impossible for the primer shaft/seater to rise up out of the base. I tried to duplicate the incident (minus primers-obviously) and can not see how it could have been done. I think I speak for all in this forum--we really would like a play by play on the incident. That said, I pray the guy hurt is recovering well and there is no lasting injury. A hit on pride, maybe. To the injured guy, when(if) you can, please let the forum know what happened. We will be most appreciative. Prevention of further injuries/incidents is paramount. Stay safe out there.

I use that priming tool, however I don't let the tube 'slap' and prime. I use my left hand and gently move the tube over the cup and load a primer, lay it back then I prime a case.

Oh and I always, and I mean ALWAYS wear these when I'm priming.

DTPdXc1.jpg
My hat is off to you for your safety standards. I use a hand primer tool from RCBS. My safety has been lacking around primers. After playing with grenades, C-4 and Claymores I did not take primers too seriously. I have had nights that I wake up and can't sleep so I head to the reloading room for a while and the only safety gear I have on is my shorts. This thread is good for awareness.

Last edited:
I like the RCBS autoprimer because it actually puts a little distance between my digits and the actual priming process. Plus I've not experienced any negative trends using this prime vs my Sinclair single primer tool.

I would've assumed an accident would occur with the actual seating of the primer- but this thread has made me rethink that.

Last edited:
I never could get used to the tube type set up , so long ago I started priming brass one at a time , with a lachmiller .
It's slow but I like it .
I would like to know for sure what caused the accident , and hope he heals ok , and a speedy recovery.View attachment 355426View attachment 355427
I got my hornady reloading press on KIJIJI FOR 200$ CAME WITH ALL ACCESSORIES BUT THE PRIMERS TUBE WAS MISSING. I STILL RELOAD MY PRIMERS BY HAND WITH THE PLASTIC BLACK DISC WITH THE TRANSPARENT COVER ... PS .. HOW U CALL THAT THING? 😆

Pay attention and NEVER try using extra force to make the bench primer work.

I make a habit of only using a few fingers to operate the handle.

I NEVER grab the handle and wrap fingers around it.
If you need that much force, something is wrong.

They did surgery on his thumb and he is expected to make a full recovery. He said the pain had subsided by late Thursday night. Modern pharmaceuticals work wonders. 😂

His story is he thought it was static electricity.....I'm not saying it was or wasn't, but I'm struggling to wrap my head around that scenario....I'm thinking something more mechanical.
Static electricity is very possible and probable. As a Electronics engineer this is the most plausible scenario I could understand.