Reloading questions on 280AI and 270WSM

Have you checked the Alliant website? Also, it may be hard to find 1 powder that gets the best velocity and accuracy for both calibers. IMR-4831 and IMR-7828SSC have worked great for me in .284 but not so much for 270WSM. I have however picked up some RL-26 and some Magpro in hopes one of them will work well in both and I am hoping I will gain the 150fps or so in velocity I feel like I'm leaving on the table. As far as loading a certain distance off the lands, I would say use the COAL stated with the recipe you are using and adjust from there if you do not like the accuracy. Good luck!

You also might try mag primers in the 280 ai I stepped up to the cci 250 primers worked well

Good thing about a Barnes bullet is they like jump, and they are really accurate once you find their sweet spot, never the highest bc but in the 400-500 yd range they are great especially when pushed fast. I've had great luck loading the ttsx 150 in my 300 win mag and it's velocity runs 3350. My friend has killed a pile of elk with a 130 ttsx from his wsm. They perform well and they are laser flat, I believe his velocity is in the 3300 range as well. I know what you have is the tsx but it may be worth a look also
How are the Hammers with jump?

I run 58.5 gr RE 19 in my Cooper .280AI with 168 gr Nosler LRAB and get 2950 FPS and one ragged hole at 100 yards and under 2MOA at 500. I love the caliber!

So ya just checked where the lands are again:

Ah3tWrf.jpg

This is a Barnes TSX (the only bullet I have lying around) that I gently put in the shell then closed the bolt and took it out, so that is right against the lands.

The shell next to it is a factory precision hunter. As you can see the bullet against the lands would not fit in the magazine.
Are you sure this is a tsx bullet? If so it needs a minimum jump of .050"off the lands maybe more. Get a 30/06 or 270 length magazine and you will ha enough room for most bullets to fit.

See this is my problem in the research haha. Everyone seems to have a different powder recommendation. I guess I was just hoping to find a fairly temp stable powder that would work for both guns. I noticed a lot of RL-19 recommendations in quite a few threads for both guns is why I asked about that but am of course open for suggestions.

+1 on the idea of checking the OAL on the Precision Hunter.

Yes, the subjectivity of powder choice, among other things, is a given due to variations in rifles and every other variable. I see RL22 as another good offering.

I was not able to dial in a good ELDX load in any of my Tikka T3s (270, 270WSM and 300WSM) until I got .030 off of max OAL or 2.830" and using H4350. I know the Finns... I bet their throat dimensions are precise from rifle to rifle.

Hey everyone.

Got a few quesitons. My dad shoots a Cooper excalibur M52 (24" barrel 1:9 twist I believe) in 280AI and I shoot a Tikka T3 lite stainless 270WSM.

He is heading up my way to visit for a couple weeks and we wanted to learn to reload together.

We currently both shoot Hornady Precision Hunter factory ammo with the ELD-X and they group really well in both guns. (Half to 3/4 MOA at 400 yards on a calm day). So factory ammo works well but for cost and fun we want to reload basically.

Anyways the questions are:

1. Research seems to show that there is a whole whack of powders people shoot for each one, but one that both seem to say allow higher muzzle velocity and still gets recommendations for both calibers is RL-19. Just want to confirm this would be an ok choice for both of our guns?

2. The .277 bullet for me is the 145gr ELD-X and for him it is the 162Gr ELD-X. My barrel is 10" twist and his 9". Would these be ok within 500 yards for stabilization?

3. For my gun, I tried to measure the lands but they are WAY fuckin out there on the Tikka. As in I couldn't even properly crimp the bullet in the shell if I did 0.050 off the lands, never mind fit it in the magazine. So the jump is going to be huge. Now the factory ammo seems to shoot under an MOA but I've heard that large jumps are less good on secant ogive bullets like the ELD-X and it is better to use tangent ogive (like say a Barnes LRX) when there is a big jump. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for your help everyonne. I'm not quite a long range hunter (most of my shots are in the 300-400 range) but this is a great forum so figured you guys would know your ----.
I have exactly the same cooper rifle in 280ai, I have been working with 55.5 gr h4831sc. Producing .52 group for 5 shots

I've heard a lot of good things about the relodader powders, by I've never used them. I find I only use H4350, H4831-sc,and Varget. These 3 powders do exceptionally well for all the calibers I own. All the other powders I have are just sitting and rotting. On top of that from my research they are also the most temperature stable of powders. It was on the internet so it must be true.

RL 16 23 26 are far more temp stable than the older 15 17 19 22 25. Better are the hodgden H extreme powders. Very temp stable and easy on barrels. H4350 and h4831 would be good choices. I personally shoot Retumbo in my 280ai with berger vld hunting. 100 yrd bug holes and 3\4 inch at 300 yards. That 168 berger is a great killing bullet too. Mine runs just over 2900fps. Rl26 will take that same bullet to 3000 fps. I'm not worried about the 100 fps loss of going with retumbo it shoots too good to change. Shep

I've heard a lot of good things about the relodader powders, by I've never used them. I find I only use H4350, H4831-sc,and Varget. These 3 powders do exceptionally well for all the calibers I own. All the other powders I have are just sitting and rotting. On top of that from my research they are also the most temperature stable of powders. It was on the internet so it must be true.

I'm with you on the Hodgdon powders. I've been using them exclusively for a long time, and prefer them above the other manufacturers' powders due to the temperature stability. I have a table I printed from a recent thread on this forum, and here's what it shows ( in fps/degree F of temperature change ) for the three you mentioned :

H-4350 - 0.16 ( fps/degree F of temperature change )
H-4831 - 0.36 ( old version )
H-4831SC - 0.08 ( !!!! )
Varget - 0.13

RL 19 checked in with 1.18; RL 22 - 1.16. These two powders are the reason I've been using H-4350 for all these years. I had a problem with the 30-06 using RL 19 using loads I had developed at 70 degrees, when I went on a hunt on a really hot day. Bad time to find out about temperature sensitivity !!!! I did some testing and found that velocity readings with both Reloader powders varied quite a bit between 60 degrees and 100. I didn't test at cold temperatures, so I can't say anything about that.

I would encourage the guy who started this thread to look into this further, since he mentioned temperature sensitivity in his initial post. On the same chart, which also shows burning rates relative to each other, H-4831 and RL-19 are side-by-side. I would try the Hodgdon powder first in the two cartridges he mentioned, and if I needed something different, it would probably be something a bit slower - like H-1000, which varied by 0.21fps/degree. ( RL 25, at the same burn rate, showed 1.59 for comparison.)

I don't know where this table came from, but it is definitely worth looking into. Lots of guys on this forum could tell you better than I can about this temperature sensitivity issue. The information is out there. These guys have tested EVERYTHING you can imagine. This forum is the best source of information like this that I have found.

I run 58.5 gr RE 19 in my Cooper .280AI with 168 gr Nosler LRAB and get 2950 FPS and one ragged hole at 100 yards and under 2MOA at 500. I love the caliber!

Just to be clear, you mean 2" at 500 I hope. Because 2MOA is like a 10" group at 500 yrds and you would have something seriously wrong if you are going from a ragged hole at 100" to 10" at 500......

Get you some RL23.
Why are you crimping?
I have a question. How has any load data for a 7mmX75mm Vom Hoff Super Express? I have Brass and RCBS Reloading Dies and Shell Holder. Was going to put it on a Ruger #1 but someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse. So now it will grace an Encore with a 26 or 28 in Barrel. Problem is car find any data.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.