Reloading Problems

yote doctor

I am having two issues while reloading for my 270 WSM. When I size just the necks or FL size the case, it will almost get stuck as I lower it from the die. ( I mean almost nock everything over on my reloading bench type of stuck) Also when I am seating bullets every so often you have to put soooo much preasure in order for it to actually seat the bullet.

So, do I need some sort of dry lube to put inside the neck? Or is there some other issue here that I am not seeing? I am also having to really shave the neck down with a deburing tool to help out. I even got a new sizing die from RCBS just to see if that was the problem. Did not help!

I am using winchester brass and basic RCBS FL die set. Never had this issue before.
Can anyone Help?

I am having two issues while reloading for my 270 WSM. When I size just the necks or FL size the case, it will almost get stuck as I lower it from the die. ( I mean almost nock everything over on my reloading bench type of stuck) Also when I am seating bullets every so often you have to put soooo much preasure in order for it to actually seat the bullet.

So, do I need some sort of dry lube to put inside the neck? Or is there some other issue here that I am not seeing? I am also having to really shave the neck down with a deburing tool to help out. I even got a new sizing die from RCBS just to see if that was the problem. Did not help!

I am using winchester brass and basic RCBS FL die set. Never had this issue before.
Can anyone Help?

I had a simmilar issue with my 270wsm Redding F/L die. For a while I used imperial wax around the rim of the case neck to solve the problemb. Then one day it went away.......... Dunno if my die had a ''break in period'' or what. Id taken the die apart & cleaned it several times before, and always grumbled to myself about having to ''scrub'' & tumble again to make sure I didnt have anything left in the case. Then one day I tried again w/no wax near the neck and all was fine........... I trimmed champhered and deburred that day so I tumbled again anyway. Maybe there comes a point when the brass gets easier to work after being loaded once or twice. I did notice that by trimming my Fed. brass to 2.093 or less I had an easier time resizing the next time, tho it couldve just been that the case necks were still mostly champhered and the die had an easier time.
I currently trim to 2.091 on my 2x loaded brass, and dont mess with trimming till it gets to 2.094 again.
Numbet 2 on your list makes me wonder how many times the brass was loaded? You may have too much neck tension. Just a thought.
Sorry I couldnt be much help.

Get some dry neck lube and polish your expander ball, after a few firing when that brass gets brittle you'll start pulling of necks. Your more than likely aready pulling the necks out of wack. I changed over to a Redding bushing die and now I wax the neck and body as I don't have to lube the inside.
I was getting kinda a little hard starting then it would let go and seat when I was seating Bergers in my 270 WSM so I started using a VLD tool to deburr the inside of the neck and that made a huge difference in how they seated, they jsut kinda melt in now.

I am using the berger bullets as well. I will try the dry lube also. My casings have only been fired once so that is part of the problem. But very frustrating to say the least. I will try these few things and hopefully I will get better results.

Thanks for the info guys!

yote doctor,
I used the Hornady CGND dies when I had a .270WSM and never experienced what you are describing. If I remember correctly the WSM brass is a little thicker than normal (for the higher pressures) and can be quiet the chore when trimming/deburring is involved.
I still use the RCBS case lube and first lube the inside of the necks with a brush. I then lube the outside of the case and wipe off lube from the shoulder/neck with a hand towel. After re-sizing I wipe off the whole case (trim here if necessary) and then champher and de-burr the necks. After all the cases have been through this I use another "clean" neck brush to wipe out the excess lube and brass shavings from inside the case and neck.
After these steps I'm ready to start priming, pouring powder and seating bullets. Everytime I ever got a case stuck was when I did not apply enough lube to the inside of the case neck. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

Sounds great. I am going to try that first. Just never had to put lube inside the case. Didnt really like the idea but I am willing to do what it takes because this rifle is shooting awesome!

wondering what brand of brass you guys are using too?

Thanks again for the help

You gotta lube the inside with something, I just use the dry cause I hate cleaning it out. I've used Win, Rem and Norma 270 WSM brass in mine. Rem is my favorite for now as it will out last the others by quite a margin, Win I just don't care for cause it was a pain to get into good shape, Norma was awesome looking except the primer through holes are of center and in fails fastest of the three.
I was suffering from long head spacing till I fixed it a couple weeks ago, I may give Norma another run now.
By the way, 110 TTSX going around 3600fps is an unbelievable coyote stomper, I've hit them every way to Sunday and I have not had one take a step!! Kinda a monster 22-250!!!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.