Reloading notebook?

Notes app in iOS. It's on every Apple device I log into, and it's safe in the cloud. Each rifle has its own Note. Pictures of targets are inserted inline

Last edited:
I made a mistake early on and tried to keep one notebook for reloading data and rifle data. It didn't work very well. I keep scans of test targets on my computer.

Now I keep load data, dope and other shooting data for each rifle in a separate book for each rifle. I keep a log book in the reloading shed and record whatever I do in it. Works nicely if I am working on something and can't get back to it for a week or two.
Doom2, thanks for the idea of target scans. Plan to explore that.

For the paper & pen route I used index cards kept in a recipe box. When I worked in vintage race cars we had a spiral bound 5 topic 8.5 X 11 binder for each car. One topic was worked performed, another was all data from test/tune & race days, another was proposed modifications, etc.

I do plan to convert to using a spreadsheet if I can ever figure out the ipad......

Trying to get serious with reloading.
Was wondering how you all kept up with your data and organized it.
Screen shots and or pics would be appreciated .
I tend to be a paper and pen person..but my organizational skills are terrible.

Just looking for some idea of where and how to best start organizing
You can download some good forms at the Redding website.

whatever happened to the Sinclair 5x7 (or so) logbooks? those were my go-to for each rifle until they quit selling them a couple years ago... haven't been able to find their source or a similar small version.

Each serialized receiver gets a rite in rain book that tracks rounds fired, with each barrel & lot of cases forming a chapter. This book gets very brief info. Basically rounds fired, conditions and solution dialed for it and impact.

I keep some college ruled note books that contain mcu more info on the load development and firing conditions.

I was introduced to "Strategic Edge Precision rifle data book" last year. I used notebooks (like most others), for years.
The SE book includes: rifle maintenance, load development, external ballistics, Permanent Data cards, Daily shooting log pages, and more. It forces one to record data in areas that create permanent records that are invaluable. Comes in a plastic ring binder that fits in my range bag. Have one for each rifle. Can't say enough good about how it has helped me retain and use the "DOPE" created in all aspects of precision shooting (equipment, loads, performance, environmentals, etc.).
For sale on Amazon. It requires an investment in time and money, to get the most out of it. May be the best $50.00 I ever spent..

I used to use index cards for each load on each rifle. The problem was the wind would blow them away. I live in Wyoming and the index cards would end up in Nebraska. Now I write on the target next to the groups. When I get home the target and load info gets transferred to a three ring binder. If it takes two weeks to transfer the info it doesn't matter because the target will still be there. I should update to computer, but the three ring does not take up much space next to the reloading manuals.

A looooooog time ago I bought a bound notebook with full size notebook paper. I put at the top of the page the description of the weapon the loads will be for and then list the loads in detail. I skip a page between weapons data. That gives me a full page front and back and the front of another page for data. I have almost filled all pages with some weapons. LOL I am glad I started doing this about 30 years ago because I used to be able to remember the loads but not these days. Dang getting old is no fun.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.