Reloading Help....300 WSM

Ranger260

Reloading advice needed: I am new to reloading and made an error. I was doing load development for my .300 WSM last night and used a magnum primer in a recipe that called for a large rifle primer. Being a "magnum" and seeing several recipes showing a magnum primer, I didn't catch that this recipe switched to a large rifle primer. I reloaded from starting to max load using the recipe for 180 Trophy Bonded Tipped, H4350 and CCI Magnum Large Rifle [substituted for Fed. Primers listed] on the Federal website in the Load Recipe section. Is my effort salvageable, or do I need to scrap it and start over? Would using a magnum primer be dangerous with this recipe?

You should be fine. I have a 300 WSM and only used Magnum primers. Some others that have this caliber claim they get better results using just a large rifle primer and not the magnum. Unless you are waaayyy over the max published load for the recipe, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, shoot the loads from starting to max and see if any signs of pressure show up when you get around the max load. You need to do that for any load you're working up, so you'll find out if the magnum primer makes any difference

You should be fine. I have a 300 WSM and only used Magnum primers. Some others that have this caliber claim they get better results using just a large rifle primer and not the magnum. Unless you are waaayyy over the max published load for the recipe, I wouldn't worry about it. Plus, shoot the loads from starting to max and see if any signs of pressure show up when you get around the max load. You need to do that for any load you're working up, so you'll find out if the magnum primer makes any difference
Thanks Doug for your feedback...really appreciate it. Today I was able to put all my loads downrange. There were no pressure signs all the way up to max load. However, I found my best accuracy working up a third of the way from starting load. The groups were wandering and spreading on either side of this node. I achieved a nice 1/2" 3-shot group. I will load a few more at that charge weight to see if it's repeatable, then stretch the distance out this week to assess long range accuracy. Not too bad a start, considering I'm new to reloading and using an unfamiliar rifle.

I shoot 300 WSM and have for quite a while.

Just watch your pressure signs like normal.

Hope the load works for you.

Thanks Doug for your feedback...really appreciate it. Today I was able to put all my loads downrange. There were no pressure signs all the way up to max load. However, I found my best accuracy working up a third of the way from starting load. The groups were wandering and spreading on either side of this node. I achieved a nice 1/2" 3-shot group. I will load a few more at that charge weight to see if it's repeatable, then stretch the distance out this week to assess long range accuracy. Not too bad a start, considering I'm new to reloading and using an unfamiliar rifle.

Feel free to contact me anytime with questions. I "cut my teeth" learning to reload for my 300 WSM, so I can help you shorten and fine tune the process. I never have used H4350 powder, mainly because it wasn't available when I was doing load development. It's a great powder and many swear by it. I've mainly loaded 180 gr Nosler bullets (Accubond, BT, Partition, Etip) and the Hornady ELDX in 200 & 178 gr. All are 0.5 moa or better. I'm headed elk hunting next week and using the 200gr ELDX.
Check out the Hammer Bullets. They are a beautiful CNC lathed monolithic copper bullet. I've loaded them in a few different calibers with great results. I recently picked up some of the 166gr Hammer Hunters for my 300 WSM and 30-06 but haven't had time to do the load development for them yet. Should be dialed in by Texas deer season. Steve at Hammer Bullets is a regular on this site and very helpful with load development and any other questions. Think of these bullets as a Berger VLD but better (more stout and all copper.......these will blow through bone without a problem).

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.