Reloading Hammer Bullets

those will work as well:)

FWIW - I've been shooting Canadian black bears for 40 yrs. My earliest outfitter told me that he has a client that takes a bear ever year with his 22-250. That was loooong before premium .224 bullets were available. I was using a 30-06 back then and wondering if I had enough gun. 😁

Today. I'm fairly committed to using the 45-70 that can be seen in my avatar.

Last edited:
I have heard and read many times that the favorite round of the natives in Alaska is the 223. They are capable of getting their distance down to feet and not yards. On a lot of game they don't even want to "waste" ammo so they will spear instead. They must head shoot moose and caribou. Who knows with bear?

The vast majority of my big game work with a 22/250 or Swift has been with standard bullets (63 Sierra, 52/55/60 Nosler Solid Base, 55 Horn w/c, 60 Horn SP). I honestly don't feel a need to go with the Mono's but have used them a fair bit.

Just thinking about trying the Hammers is all, boredom sells a lot of bullets etc...:)

All I read about the Hammers is nothing but good, but a 224 for black bear I have to question. Just what if you come across a "dandy" with some mass to him? Where legal, a lot of guys use the 224 on deer and other game. I can't adhere to that either.
Everyone now, jump in. I don't care.
never show up to a "gunfight" with a knife..
That black bear will go to hunt'n the man throwing mosquitos at him.

I use a lot of hammers they are great. I do t think I'd hesitate for a min to use a 22-250 with a hammer for a black bear. The shank can't come apart so it's gonna get a long way in and do some major shock inside. Bears are very easy to kill. I know of a few big boys taken with a .243 so a premium bullet should do. Not sure I'd try it with a lead core. Just in case that a lot of speed for lead and would work fine for deer and hogs but may not have that 6" of fat that needs to be passed through first.

I have to emphatically agree with RYEWSKY25284. One only has to look at the hind quarter depicted in the Varmint Hunter's reply, and you will get an appreciation of what a bullet had to contend with as it tries to get with some momentum and weight to the vitals of a bear. This fat is in addition to the hide, hair, and probably bone that needs to be penetrated with authority. I have killed only four black bears in the Idaho and Washington Mts. mostly at distance; but since I hunt alone, I can't afford to have them run down a canyon or get in the thick stuff so I use a caliber that will hopefully anchor them at the distance that I shoot, which hasn't been longer that about 300 yards or so. I also shoot with a bullet that will penetrate the front shoulder on its way to the vitals to break them down if possible. Finding a bear shot in open country is one thing; finding it in the berry thickets is another. I have encountered a lot of hunters coming out of the mountains saying that they probably missed the bear on couldn't find it that I can' t imagine how many bears have been wasted or worse yet were wounded and left to die a miserable death. The bottom line is that most of us do this for a hobby or fun and end up killing a critter that spends every second of their life trying to survive. So I believe they they deserve the most humane death we can inflict.
By the way this forum is so interesting in that it reflects t;he many situations that a variety of hunters have encountered. For example CVCOBRA1 is right in that he has heard that the natives in Alaska like to use the 223 for hunting. I don't know about the native people in Alaska, but I have hunted with the Inuits out of Nunavut, and they use the 223 for the caribou and wolf, but not for the polar bear. At times they said that they would like to use something bigger, but cash is sacred, and they don't need to kill the critter on the spot. The ice goes FOREVER.
You'll have to forgive me for all of the dialogue as I have been coped too long, but we have just started this journey with the virus, but keep up the posts. It is very interesting to read about all of your experiences.
But I want to take this opportunity to wish all of you and your love ones a healthy journey during this trying time.

Sent home from work for an elevated temperature only 100.4, my baseline normal temperature is 99.6 so not that far off however we have a hard line at 100°. So I'm home reading when I should be at work. This SARS CoV2 is getting everybody a little touchy. Usually for Black bears I use a .458 socom or .45/70, I have used a spear and honestly a spear kills hogs about as fast as a knife and both of those are quicker than everything but a headshot on wild boar that I've seen so far. I'm not saying anything ran off when shot but they usually have an expiration so to speak, spear a knife is more of a grunt and flop. For black bear I don't think I would have an issue with using a monocore a small bore or even a well-built premium. You might have to pick your shot so if you had to take that one second and pull the trigger you might want to think twice or at least I would. I would feel comfortable picking my shot with a 223 or larger with my choice and projectile.

I just started using the Hammer in a rifle I am setting up for a trip to Africa this year. I was surprised as I loaded up two different loads in my 300 PRC, 199's and 214"s, both to the max length that would fit into the magazine of my CA Traverse and both loads shot to 1/2 MOA to 600 yards. No adjustment necessary. I haven't loaded them in anything else yet so this may just be a fluke but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least. I will be trying them in my 6.5 PRC next.
Good Luck.

Hammers jump as much as .070 in my rifles with stellar accuracy!
Boy I wish I could get that close! I'm jumping .130 (max mag length) and backing off more to see if the group will tighten up further (338 Win w/210 Hammer).
But to drive the point home even further...as long as the ogive is out of the case, they will still shoot pretty decent.lol

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.