Reloading Hammer Bullets

Pa Grizz

I know someone has already posted something about this but I never saw it.I picked up some 181 gr 30 cal Hammer bullets
to use in my 300WM and 300RUM Any problem with using them at factory length .I want to be able to fit in my clips.My 300 WM is made out of a 98 Mauser and does not any room but for factory length.I have shot Berger 20 th off the lands and does great,but that make's it a single shot. Not good for hunting My 300 Rum clips lets me bring the bullet out a little longer but are these hammer's as length sensitive as Berger and bullets of that type

Last edited:
Don't know how folks qualify "insensitive or not tolerant", but I have found they still need to be seated at a depth the barrel likes to ensure optimum accuracy. Just my experience with them.

I would tend to agree with ^^^^^^^^ and have a few rifles that prefer the Hammers well off the rifling just as you would find with other mono-metal bullets. However, the Hammers do shoot well at many OALs which tends to be untrue with most other monos, IME.

Last edited:
Any chance any of you all have used the .224 dia Hammers in 64 or 70 grain? I have spring bear coming up and am giving some thoughts to trying them in my 8 twist 22/250AI.

Hope all's staying well and safe

Any chance any of you all have used the .224 dia Hammers in 64 or 70 grain? I have spring bear coming up and am giving some thoughts to trying them in my 8 twist 22/250AI.

Hope all's staying well and safe
iam using the 73 hammer hunter in a 5.56x47 they are killing hogs very well head shots and through the shoulders a little hammer with a lot of punch

All I read about the Hammers is nothing but good, but a 224 for black bear I have to question. Just what if you come across a "dandy" with some mass to him? Where legal, a lot of guys use the 224 on deer and other game. I can't adhere to that either.
Everyone now, jump in. I don't care.

All I read about the Hammers is nothing but good, but a 224 for black bear I have to question. Just what if you come across a "dandy" with some mass to him? Where legal, a lot of guys use the 224 on deer and other game. I can't adhere to that either.
I normally agree about the .224 but the 73 hammer at 3270fps is a wicked little round I don't think I would use it for bear myself but it is great on hogs and texas sized deer complete pass through on everything I have shot so far including some large river bottom hogs

Thx for the replies and I totally understand if you're not comfy with 224 on big game. I wasn't either until I started using them 42 years ago. Couple local fellas got me going on them, they're some of the finest hunters outdoorsman going. I trusted what they said and have done a ton load of work with the 22/250 and Swift ever since.

I have some experience with the bigger 22 cf's on game and I'm very comfy with them! :)

Hope all are staying safe.

I lean in the opposite direction. My preference is for .458 diameter bullets for those fatty black bears. LOL

This image is of a Canadian black bear with its hindquarters removed. Fattiest bear I ever saw.

Fatty black bear.JPG

Last edited:
I lean in the opposite direction. My preference is for .458 diameter bullets for those fatty black bears. LOL

The image is of a Canadian black bear with its hindquarters removed.
At least if you miss, you can get a second shot. You know after they get back up from the wind blowing them over from that .458. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.