Reloading for the new .277 Fury from Sig

There are no hybrid cases in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor...you have to find 277 Fury bi metal cases and form them. 308 is easy, just mandrel the 277 and run through the normal 308 sizing die. The 6.5 Creedmoor I use 308 FL die to move the shoulder then 6.5 Creedmoor FL die trim to length, and neck turned all on lathe. I haven't annealed anything so far. I used 3 powders in the 308 experiment with different bullet weights from 155 gr 3182 fps, too fast on powder choice ,168 gr 3255 fps, 200 gr 2951 fps, 225 gr eldm 2719 fps... and one powder in the Creedmoor with 150 gr SMK only bullet tried, at 3056 fps. I dropped these top velocity loads 50 fps and have been running the 308 200 gr SMK .715 Bac at 2900 fps and the 6 5 Creedmoor 150 SMK .713 BC at 3000 fps. With these cases. I do not give out powder or specific load data as this is a somewhat dangerous endeavor. Pressure signs are a little different with the SS heads...no marks at all on the case head, no blown primers, primers fairly round, primer pockets tight ss when I started after three firings....any action resistance on opening is a big pressure indicator with these, back off, your stressing the action. These cases are very strong. I have a new Bartlein barrel ordered for the 6.5 Creedmoor and will experiment with that rifle ... look for barrel wear, and check the action. So far it's all good...everything as it was on the go gauge of the 3 lug action which I will continue to use. Gonna fireform a bunch of 6.5 cases already made up with 140 gr. bullets. I do not recommend anyone doing this. I'm just looking at the possibilities with these new components, and would recommend that most would wait for the 277 Fury to fully develop and be available. I have a full machine shop and am retired machinist and build my own rifles....and this is a rather serious endeavor to answer questions I have.

There are no hybrid cases in 308 and 6.5 Creedmoor...you have to find 277 Fury bi metal cases and form them. 308 is easy, just mandrel the 277 and run through the normal 308 sizing die. The 6.5 Creedmoor I use 308 FL die to move the shoulder then 6.5 Creedmoor FL die trim to length, and neck turned all on lathe. I haven't annealed anything so far. I used 3 powders in the 308 experiment with different bullet weights from 155 gr 3182 fps, too fast on powder choice ,168 gr 3255 fps, 200 gr 2951 fps, 225 gr eldm 2719 fps... and one powder in the Creedmoor with 150 gr SMK only bullet tried, at 3056 fps. I dropped these top velocity loads 50 fps and have been running the 308 200 gr SMK .715 Bac at 2900 fps and the 6 5 Creedmoor 150 SMK .713 BC at 3000 fps. With these cases. I do not give out powder or specific load data as this is a somewhat dangerous endeavor. Pressure signs are a little different with the SS heads...no marks at all on the case head, no blown primers, primers fairly round, primer pockets tight ss when I started after three firings....any action resistance on opening is a big pressure indicator with these, back off, your stressing the action. These cases are very strong. I have a new Bartlein barrel ordered for the 6.5 Creedmoor and will experiment with that rifle ... look for barrel wear, and check the action. So far it's all good...everything as it was on the go gauge of the 3 lug action which I will continue to use. Gonna fireform a bunch of 6.5 cases already made up with 140 gr. bullets. I do not recommend anyone doing this. I'm just looking at the possibilities with these new components, and would recommend that most would wait for the 277 Fury to fully develop and be available. I have a full machine shop and am retired machinist and build my own rifles....and this is a rather serious endeavor to answer questions I have.
I'm not up to messing with these pressures at this time....but what actions are you using? I heard that there might be a few std actions that would withstand the higher pressures.

Isn't sig using a bolt that locks into a barrel extension (similar to the design of an AR but beefier)? That would take all the stress off of the receiver if they were.

Do you see any pressure signs above the "web" where the brass Cade meets the steel head? I would think if you saw any, this would be the area.

If people are going to start experimenting wirh other actions, a pressure trace system might be good to do research with.

The 2 pc hybrid case design has caught my eye since they introduced it, I'd like to see where it goes in the future

I'm not up to messing with these pressures at this time....but what actions are you using? I heard that there might be a few std actions that would withstand the higher pressures.

Isn't sig using a bolt that locks into a barrel extension (similar to the design of an AR but beefier)? That would take all the stress off of the receiver if they were.

Do you see any pressure signs above the "web" where the brass Cade meets the steel head? I would think if you saw any, this would be the area.

If people are going to start experimenting wirh other actions, a pressure trace system might be good to do research with.

The 2 pc hybrid case design has caught my eye since they introduced it, I'd like to see where it goes in the future
The Sig Cross is rated for the higher pressure.

I shoot a 270 Win , a 130 Grn. Ballistic Tip at 3025 fps approx.; and a 270 Weatherby Mag with the same 130 Grn. Ballistic Tip at at 3300 fps. also that rifle shoots a 150 Grn ABLR at 3000 fps. Pressure as published at 55K pounds or slightly less. I have no interest in shooting a .270 round that requires 80,000 pounds of pressure, in a two-piece case ,to operate at its full potential. That is beyond my personal comfort level, and way more than I need to hunt Whitetail, Mule deer, or Antelope ect. Interesting new concept, no doubt, but not for me. Good Luck Buddy

Yes, Sig uses a barrel extension, and aluminum reciever just like an AR but supposedly heavier duty 3 lug lock up. I use a Remington 700 and a Ruger precision rifle 3 lug, standard factory actions. I would purchase the Sig but it wasn't available in my store in 277 Fury, the high pressure round, ...plus the trigger accidental discharge problem needed to be fixed. So I'm using mostly the 6.5 Creedmoor in the RPR, the Rem 700 is custom chassis rifle. The Remington gets proof tested. But the Ruger 3 lug RPR will be tested as its all factory and more expendable. I have a new barrel orderd for it so I'm not concerned about this factory barrel. Checking the cases and headspace after each shooting session and have a good load for it. The 150 SMK at 3000 fps, accurate, low S/D, no case problems in 3 reloads.Will check barrel wear also. The bi-metal case line gets finer after firing, no problem reloading, just like a regular brass case at 60,000. The SS case heads look new after 3 firings. This whole practice is not recommended including any reloading of the SS cases by the manufacturer. Who recommend 277 Fury factory ammo only, in their rifles.

Is there any data yet on what powder is being used to reload this cartridge?
Any charge data?
It looks like the Lee reloading die set includes some loading data (according to the item listing on midway) but otherwise I haven't found anything.

For the brass case?
The brass case factory 277 Fury rounds were 300 fps slower than the military 6.8x51 bi metal case heads.60,000 compared to 80,000 psi brass case heads make the 277 Fury simply a 7mm-08 with a .277 dia bullet. You could use 7mm-08 data start low and work up. You are not gonna get any fast speeds with brass cases ...i believe the video was getting 2600 fps with 16" barrel & factory ammo brass cases 135 or 140 bullet...look it up if interested.

For the brass case?
Yes

The brass case factory 277 Fury rounds were 300 fps slower than the military 6.8x51 bi metal case heads.60,000 compared to 80,000 psi brass case heads make the 277 Fury simply a 7mm-08 with a .277 dia bullet. You could use 7mm-08 data start low and work up. You are not gonna get any fast speeds with brass cases ...i believe the video was getting 2600 fps with 16" barrel & factory ammo brass cases 135 or 140 bullet...look it up if interested.

Thanks. I literally haven't found anything anywhere and I found a source for the brass cases but literally a google search for "reloading data for 277 sig fury" turned up this thread and a ton of nonsense. Trying to get some ammunition for it while I am having a barrel made. I honestly don't plan on building anything that will tolerate the milspec cases I just want to see how this new chambering does compared to SIMILAR cartridges.. ie NOT 270 because it is a dinosaur with a big saggy case.. but focus on cartridges with the same approximate volume.

Yes

Thanks. I literally haven't found anything anywhere and I found a source for the brass cases but literally a google search for "reloading data for 277 sig fury" turned up this thread and a ton of nonsense. Trying to get some ammunition for it while I am having a barrel made. I honestly don't plan on building anything that will tolerate the milspec cases I just want to see how this new chambering does compared to SIMILAR cartridges.. ie NOT 270 because it is a dinosaur with a big saggy case.. but focus on cartridges with the same approximate volume.
The unfired hybrid bi metal case of the 277 Fury has 57.0 grain H2O capacity.
The old 270 Win case 67.0 gr H2O capacity
Or 10 gr difference in favor of the 270 in capacity.
My fired bimetal case formed to 308 win has 57.5 gr H20 capacity. And the Lapua Palma 308 brass has a fired case capacity of 56.0 gr H20. Give you and idea of performance to expect if cases were all brass.

What barrel lengths are you using to get those numbers for a 308? Those numbers seem crazy high, but I guess I was assuming you were using a Sig Cross with a 16" barrel... until I read further down. Now you just got me curious.

Not Surprising that the Fury 'Sporting version ", in Brass cases would need to have offerings that are not quite to 80,000 Milspec for the general market to use in hunting rifles, or even older Re Barreled Hunting rifles. I think they needed to do something like that with reduced 45-70 load's that may get used on older 45-70 rifles and as well as make the Hot 45-70 loads for modern Hunting Rifles designed to handle the pressure of the hotter load. Makes sense.

What barrel lengths are you using to get those numbers for a 308? Those numbers seem crazy high, but I guess I was assuming you were using a Sig Cross with a 16" barrel... until I read further down. Now you just got me curious.
The test rifle for the 308 is a custom long action 30" Bartlein 8 twist barrel I was going to chamber for 300 RUM 4.00" long cartridges I figured 250 Atips close 3100 fps as I was shooting 2985fps in a 26" barrel. But decided to chamber the big heavy palma barrel for 308 Win first ...to see what was possible with the 308 case. After exploring the 308 Win in a long action long barrel I never chambered the 300 RUM as I liked the 308 too much in this configuration. The normal load with Lapua brass is 200 gr SMK .715 g1 BC at 2856 fps average. It's set up for heavy bullets 200 to 250 gr Atip. 225 ELDM at 2675 fps 230 Atips at 2620 fps ...all standard Lapua or Lapua Palma brass cases. The 8 twist will put cheap Speer 130 Varmint bullets in tiny groups, too. I have a bunch of 308s with 18, 22, 24 26, 27 & 30 in barrels. Twists are 8, 9, 10, & 12. All the new builds are fast twist 9 & 8, better for my endevors. May brass load for the 308 in this rifle produces over 3600 ft/ lbs of muzzle energy.
This hybrid case is interesting, not sold on it yet...and I 'm through the first hundred cases some reloaded 3 times, shot some good groups yesterday, in the 9 twist 22" but not that impressive.
The 6.5 Creedmoor is a standard factory RPR rifle with a 24" barrel. Velocities seem more impressive in the Creedmoor. I have a new Bartlein barrel for it so I can check throat erosion on these higher pressures loads.
These bimetal cases are not to be reloaded says the manufacturer. ..and they may have a point.
Still experimenting... the regular brass Lapua case & their Palma cases are still my favorite, after a fair amount of experimentation, I know what they can handle and they are consistent.

The unfired hybrid bi metal case of the 277 Fury has 57.0 grain H2O capacity.
The old 270 Win case 67.0 gr H2O capacity
Or 10 gr difference in favor of the 270 in capacity.
My fired bimetal case formed to 308 win has 57.5 gr H20 capacity. And the Lapua Palma 308 brass has a fired case capacity of 56.0 gr H20. Give you and idea of performance to expect if cases were all brass.
Yes

It will be very similar to 7mm-08 vs 280rem. The more powder a case has, the less efficient it is. In 280rem with a 150gr bullet you can expect around 2950fps with 55gr of powder vs 2800 with 45gr of powder in a 7-08. So a 20% increase in powder for a 6% increase in velocity.

For the all brass case 277 fury at 62.3kpsi vs a 270win(at saami max 62.3kpsi) with a 140gr bullet it's a 17% increase in powder for a 6% increase in velocity.