Reloading for the 300 Ultra-mag

jim5656

I have a question for all knowledgeable reloaders out there. I recently purchased a 300 Ultra in Rem Sendero. I admit I was less than informed about long range shooting/hunting when I bought it. I fell into the trap of " bigger and faster must be better " little did I know
frown.gif
Anyway, I've got it now and so I'll make the best of it until it's time to rebarrel/rechamber. My question is this. Can I extend barrel life AND expect similar results of a 300 win mag by loading this rifle for the 200 or 220 grain Matchkings at similar speeds? Something around 2900/3000 fps. Or even .308 speeds (2750-2800) These bullets have a very high claimed BC. It would seem they would fly very well. I know I'm backing into this but i don't really have a choice.
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Hi 300UM...
The 300 Ultra can be loaded down to 300WM velocity levels, with no problems. You might find that the 190 Sierra MatchKings are a better bullet that the 220's.
You can go even lower, but check a loading manual for recomended loads. with light loads, use one of the FASTER burning powders.
The barrel will much longer.
smile.gif

My Sendero shoot's very well with 89.5gr of RL22 under a 190gr Match King.OAL is 3.655.Fed 215 primer's.Have gotten 3 shot's under a half if I do my part.Ten shot ave is 3270 fps

Warning! This thread is more than 23 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.