Reloading for rifles

JMB 1911

I reloaded for varmint and deer hunting 30 years ago with my dad. Sadly when he passed I let most of the gear go. High quality factory hunting loads filled my needs.

I have been reloading pistol ammo to shoot IDPA now for a few years and that's all going fine.

I just ordered a copper rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor and I think I may play at some LRP shooting with it. My questions is exactly what do I need to get started in reloading rifle ammo again?

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/want-to-get-into-reloading.215669/
Here's another about selecting a scale, pretty much beat the topic to death and then some haha.
You'll see that we all have our OPINIONS and you'll have to weed through and determine what is important to you and what best suits your budget and your precision goals.
You can get shooting with a couple hundred dollar starter kit, or you can dump thousands on equipment. All depends on your goals and budget.

Tumbler, Scale (Dillon D-Terminator is my jam but RCBS 5-0-5 works very well too), reloading press, die set, chamfer tool, case lube, loading block, funnel. Basic setup.

Press: Lee still makes their Anniversary Challenger kit for about 100 bucks. It's not fancy but it'll work well enough. Mine has over 25 years on it. Has basically everything you need but dies. RCBS rockchucker or Lyman or whatever brand single stage press is nicer to use than Lee. Costs more. I use a Lee Challenger, RCBS Rockchucker and Dillon 550B.

Scale: subject beat to death. See above. Don't overthink it.
Dies: Almost doesn't matter. Lee sets are handy. In non-custom my faves are Hornady and Redding.
Chamfer tool: who cares
Case lube: 2-4% Lanolin (ebay, nearly free) in 91% isopropyl alcohol, spray bottle. Or, Hornady one-shot or Imperial Sizing Wax.
Loading block: An old .45ACP ammo tray from any box of 50rds.
Funnel: I prefer the Lee funnel to the RCBS since I can see through it.

I would also add to your list a set of Lee powder dippers. They're stupid handy and you'll want to thank me later.

I am still using the Lee kit that my son bought for me about 10 years ago. I have added to it but still use most of the tools in the kit. The Lee scale that comes with the kit is as accurate as any but it will settle faster if you enhance the magnets (I just slide an additional magnet up one side). I don't think you need a scale that will weigh to the nearest 0.01 gr, but if you want one that accurate go for it. For case lube, you get a tube of Lee lube in the kit. If you want to lube faster than applying with your fingers you can squeeze a small dollop into a ziploc bag, add brass and shake/agitate (not as messy as a spray and probably just as inexpensive). You can lube 25 - 50 cases in less than a minute and it is handy. At first, you will use more lube than necessary. The Lee dies work well, as well as many of the more expensive brands. With that said, I have the Forster micrometer seating die for one of my rifles and I do like this seating die. +1 on the Lee dippers. They are very handy. Since you have a pistol you load for, you can make a set of dippers with pistol brass by soldering a wire handle to the brass. You can cut the brass to your desired volume. You will need the pilot for the Lee case trimmer in your caliber. FWIW, I don't tumble brass, I just wipe off the outside with a microfiber cloth. You can get everything you need for under $200.00 easily, and then add to it as you gain proficiency and learn what you like in your tools.

what about a case trimmer do you trim cases after sizing? Do you need to trim every case or does it take several firings for the neck to stretch? One of things I don't recall from 30 years or more ago

It usually takes several firings to stretch it out enough to require trimming. Some people have a set number of firings and then trim. I personally just go till its exceeding max length then trim the whole batch. I use the lee quick trim delux, I think it's called, very easy usually consistent within. 001 or so. Theres plenty out there to choose from. And everybody you talk to will have an opinion about why you should get the one they use.

(not as messy as a spray and probably just as inexpensive). You can lube 25 - 50 cases in less than a minute and it is handy. At first, you will use more lube than necessary....
....FWIW, I don't tumble brass, I just wipe off the outside with a microfiber cloth.
Same here, I typically dont clean my brass, and sometimes use too much case lube, if you go this route, make sure and clean the inside of your dies frequently. Its embarrassing how much crap I got out of mine the first time I cleaned it up.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.