reloading for a shorter barrel

ajhardle

I've been reloading for a 16" ar15 for a month or so, after reloading for precision with a 26" 223 savage bolt action, and I've noticed some very different preferences on optimal charge weight. The long barrel seems to prefer max loads of slower powders, and the 16"shoots best at minimums, with faster powders. 21.2 gr of h335 behind a 55gr hornady shoot moa, and then grow to almost 3" without revealing another node. I don't expect one hole groups with this gun, but it seems that a faster powders might be the right ticket for carbine length rifles. Does anyone have loads specificallyfor their 16" barrels? Please only answer if you might throw away a gun that would only shoot moa, because you would never wish that on anyone. Figuratively , not literally.

1 in 9 twist, 16" barrel. Dpms.
I was shooting 70 gr Berger with ram shot tac, and even shot .5"with 23 gr, on two separate work ups, but the accuracy window was only a tenth grain. Not a load worth saving. I was past half way through the yellow box and decided to save the rest of those for my savage that will shoot 1/4"groups when the sun is hiding.

1 in 9 twist, 16" barrel. Dpms.
I was shooting 70 gr Berger with ram shot tac, and even shot .5"with 23 gr, on two separate work ups, but the accuracy window was only a tenth grain. Not a load worth saving. I was past half way through the yellow box and decided to save the rest of those for my savage that will shoot 1/4"groups when the sun is hiding.

You might try Sierra 65gr GM with (25.0grs) of H335... CCI #41 Win case length to fit mag. It runs about 3000 fps in CAR with super accuracy. Actually this is about the only load and bullet I use in my CAR any more.

What type of glass or open sights are you using?

Do you have any furniture hanging from the barrel.. light laser that kinda stuff?

Are you using an aftermarket flash hider or muzzle break?

Sorry for the delay. Christmas season is crazy 'round here.
I'm shooting a bone stock DPMS sportical and a 4-16x scope on it, for now. I'll switch to red dot/iron sights after i develope some loads, and after it stops being fun to shoot a scope AR. I found some 68 gr bthp laying around i might try.
I know what it takes to make this rifle more accurate, but I'm only trying to make it as efficient as possible. To be honest, 55 gr bullets with 20.8 grs of 335 shoots one inch, five shot groups. It's so cheap might be my best choice.
I would like to learn more about what's happening in the chamber and barrel when a shot is fired. I would assume 25 gr's of anything would have lots of unburnt powder as the bullet exits. Is there any good reading material on the subject i might find?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts