Reloading for a brand new Accuracy International AX338MC

torrentuser

Good Day!

I recently purchased an AX338MC with a 27inch barrel and live in Silicon Valley, CA. I plan to target shoot from 800 to 1600 yards. I intend on building a ladder for myself during load generation. Here are my details:
8lbs. of RL33
Lapua Brass, 100count
Sierra Match King 300gr, 500 count
CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers #250

According to the RL33 site:
Alliant Powder - Reloader's Guide
338 Lapua Magnum 300 gr Sierra Match King Lapua 3.68 24 Fed 215 Reloder 33 97.5 2,748

97.5 grains should be good. What is strange is they don't have a safe and a max grain count. I think I should treat 97.5 as the max and reload up to it. Am I right?

I was thinking of doing a ladder of the following:

93.5gr
94.5gr
95.5gr
96.5gr
97.7gr
(5 rounds each) [Expensive huh!?]

Is that nuts? I have a controlled 200 yard range that I was planning on using, but I'm afraid I'll just be putting them through the same hole and not see any widening / contracting of my groups. What distance would you recommend building a ladder on? Any greater and I'll need to go out in the wilderness (BLM Land). It won't be controlled and I probably shooting prone instead of on a bench.

---------------
What to do with my brass? So these are brand new... I opened the box and could smell Finland. Do I full length size these? Do I just shoot them, assuming they are in spec out of the box, and get them fire formed to my barrel? What case prep is required for brand new Lapua brass?

You guys are the authorities! Big thanks in advance!

-torrentuser

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.